To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.
Location: Remote position requiring travel to OCCRP’s HQ in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Applicants must work within timezones UTC +0 to UTC +4.
Deadline: Sunday, May 23rd, 2021
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good. By developing and equipping a global network of investigative journalists and publishing their stories, we expose crime and corruption so the public can hold power to account. We see a future where organized crime and corruption are drastically reduced and democracy is strengthened. Our global team includes editors, researchers, data engineers, security specialists, administrators, technologists, and strategists, each with areas of in-depth expertise.
As the Head of Design you are responsible for developing and managing all aspects of OCCRP’s design. This includes our products and services, graphic design, user experience design, advertising, marketing and branding. You will be responsible for producing graphics and visual components for our journalism and ensuring our software products and web assets share the same visual identity.
This is a demanding leadership position. It requires working at multiple levels: rolling up your sleeves and creating designs yourself, managing in-house resources and a network of freelance designers, and supporting colleagues to bring their ideas to fruition. In parallel you will work to establish a shared vision for the OCCRP aesthetic and brand, and develop a plan to get us there.
You should have:
- 5-10 years of experience in industry or with an agency
- Experience designing for the web and for print media
- A cool head and ability to build and manage a cohesive team to deliver to tight deadlines under pressure
- Exceptional collaboration and diplomacy, able to work across teams and cultures
- Proven leadership experience managing others, able to empower others to fail, learn, and grow
- Ability to synthesize abstract ideas into concrete design implications
- A strong sense of design, color theory, typography and composition
- A holistic design approach which takes into account all the products in the organization
- A keen interest in news and current affairs
- Proficiency in design related tools such as Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Sketch, Adobe XD or similar
- Basic familiarity of HTML and CSS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter to jobs[at]occrp.org.
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Whilst we have internal goals to reply to unsuccessful candidates, we regret that the high number of applicants greatly exceeds our capacity to respond to each person. We apologize that we will not be able to reply to any unsuccessful applicants.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process, please contact hr[at]occrp.org.