Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community. Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses.
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it. We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products.
So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm. Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre.
The Head of Engineering oversees all aspects of the Engineering function within Wefarm and works with the CTO to ensure the technologies supporting the products being built are aligned with the company’s strategic goals. As a leader within the organisation the Head of Engineering thinks and acts like an owner of the business with a bias towards delivery and is a positive force driving the team forward.
Outcome 1 – The technologies being developed by all product development squads are tightly aligned with the company’s technical strategy
- Ensures Tech Leads are taking a smart approach to the solutions being built with a design that fits within the wider platform in an efficient and holistic way
- Embeds a shared understanding of existing technical architecture, it’s capabilities, limitations and future strategy across the whole team
- Promotes an architecture designed and operated around simplicity, scalability and best practices
- Draws upon previous experience with functional programming languages to positively influence technical direction
- Ensures observability of technical solutions and religiously tracks KPIs
Outcome 2 – Engineers are empowered to build amazing products
- Manages performance and personal development processes for Engineers, and excels in the role of coaching and providing clear expectations and feedback
- There is absolute clarity within the team of company and squad OKRs and they are systematically tracked
- Engineers are inspired and motivated to always aim high and achieve the best outcomes
- Works with CTO optimising the dynamics and skills of the team to bring the most impact and value to the business
- Promotes a pragmatic approach to balancing speed of delivering value with quality of the solutions being released
- Hold engineers accountable for KPIs
- Reduces friction, blockers and bureaucratic overhead
Outcome 3 – Inspires a sense of pride in the accomplishments of Wefarm’s engineering
- Embraces and communicates the long-term vision & mission for the company
- Regularly talks internally and externally promoting a pride in our world class engineering, and developing and evangelizing the Wefarm tech culture to attract top class talent
- Talks to non-technical stakeholders on appropriate level of abstraction and able to express complex systems in simple and clear terms
- Is an active leader within team discussions and by bringing positive energy and their extensive experience to the table, facilitates and helps guide groups to reach the best outcome for the business
- Ensuring an engineering culture that aligns with wider company values
Key skills and attributes
- Brings an infectious “can do” energy
- Knows what is possible within the bounds of resource and time constraints
- Is adept at inspiring and getting the best out of people in a “remote first” environment
- Dissects product requirements into discrete technical building blocks
- Continually builds and invests in company core technical capabilities through building and retaining top engineering talent
- Cross functional strategic mindset
- Proactive problem solver
- Excitement for challenges
- Clear communicator and efficient collaborator
- Can roll up sleeves and muck in when appropriate
Rewards package and remuneration
Wefarm is a global business that believes in flexible working and shared ownership.
Every Wefarmer is a shareholder in the business; we are all the makers and owners of Wefarm’s vision. We also offer pension packages and healthcare benefits, which vary slightly by location of employment, and global mental health support services through Spill.
As a global business we believe that remote first is the future of work, and support our teams in creating the best setup for their personal situation; every Wefarmer gets the standard tech they need and a stipend to set up their home office & we offer flexible office bases in our four main hub cities. Being remote first doesn’t mean we don’t spend time together though; we have regular global team events (virtual for now) and local meet ups (where possible), bi-weekly All Hands meeting to make sure everyone is up to date, and will get back to our annual WeCamp global get togethers as soon as we can do that safely.
Our interview process normally consists of the following steps
- A quick half hour call with our internal recruiter
- An hour video call focusing on culture, values and communication
- You’ll then be given a technical challenge to do in your own time. This normally takes no longer than an hour to complete.
- An hour pairing extending the technical challenge
- Lastly a further hour video interview covering more technical skills and answering any further questions
Sometimes a follow-up call will be needed to cover any additional questions that either you or we may have.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Wefarm, we’re building a place where everyone belongs and can add value, regardless of their background – and our team is no different. We’re working hard to create a diverse and inclusive culture where we take inspiration from different experiences, backgrounds and ways of thinking. If you share our values and enthusiasm for connecting the world’s small-scale farmers, you may be a great fit for Wefarm.