What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨
Sylvera is scaling carbon markets with software. Sylvera does this by applying advanced machine learning techniques to satellite data to quantify with unprecedented accuracy the amount of carbon stored in landscapes. We also provide a holistic picture of offset projects, providing people with the information they need to make informed decisions.
By providing transparency, Sylvera intends to underpin functioning voluntary carbon markets. This will allow the market to scale to keep the planet under 2C of warming, and unlock huge co-benefits for nature and society.
Sylvera is backed by world leading investors (unannounced) and is on a super steep trajectory over the next couple of years – we want incredible people that are as passionate as we are about the mission and want to build an amazing organisation with us to achieve it.
What’s my mission? 👩💻👨💻
You’ll be leading the development of our products, working with our senior team Allister, CEO (ex-Bain, ex-EF Europe MD, PhD in ML) , Sam, COO (ex-Akin Gump/Baker McKenzie Investment Funds Lawyer (incl. ESG funds)), Claire, CoS (Ex- Morgan Stanley, Uber, Hello Fresh) and Theo, Product Lead (Ex Rated People, Blackrock)
Your foundation will be the engineering culture you set. User and product oriented, supportive, collaborative, and wanting to build and learn.
We produce comprehensive information to help buyers, sellers and intermediaries in the carbon market transact with trust and confidence that the offsets are great quality. Your core mission is to work closely with our product team to enable the distribution of this proprietary data into our API and webapp products in a way that meets the customers needs, and delights them at the same time.
After your first month at Sylvera you will have…
- Been on-boarded onto all our systems and dug deep into our mission to provide data that makes the global economy sustainable, starting with providing the data that makes global carbon markets work. – into the company , understand product discover goals
- Deeply engaged with the engineering and product team and met our key customers
- Spent plenty of time getting to know our Analytics and Commercial teams.
After your first six months you will have…
- Tweaked, communicated, role-modeled and embedded our engineering practices and culture
- Taken full ownership of the engineering functions.
- Set out the engineering roadmap in collaboration with our product lead and founders
- Fed into the people strategy and taken reins on technical hiring and onboarding
After your first year…
- You’ll have organised and 2x-3xd the size our engineering function to meet customer needs present and pipeline
- The sky’s the limit! You will be providing the engine for the next wave of product and commercial opportunities for Sylvera
What do I need? ❓
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Engineering Management or Lead roles
- A systems mindset and an ability to create order out of, at times, chaos!
- Deep Experience in an Agile environment in a growing tech company, using tools like Jira, with CI/CD development
- Worked closely with Machine Learning teams and ML services previously
- You’ve acted as a bridge between Engineering, Product and Commercial needs before
- Exemplary communication skills & plenty of emotional intelligence
- Experience communicating to C and Board level ideally both internally and with customers
- A proactive, ‘can-do’ attitude, and a willingness to learn and work hard.
- To care about the climate and ecosystems of Earth, and to want to change incentives so they get valued and protected.
Brownie points for? 🎂
- Exposure to financial markets and financial data products
- Ownership of an API product
- Ownership of an AI/M driven product
- Exposure to maps or geospatial data
- Exposure to Public Policy, NGOs or sustainability
If you got this far down? 🙋
- You might be thinking – hmm this is my dream role – I know I can ace tech lead right now but the “Head of” role is a stretch
- Or conversely – this would be awesome, but this is a 20 person company, I love the mission, but from a career perspective, I need to be VP engineering and grow the tech team to 50
- If you fit into either of these buckets – please do reach out anyway. We want the actual best people and can reshape the team around them.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we genuinely value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
- Competitive pay with equity – this is a critical role for us and will be well rewarded
- Part WFH/remote with Old St base
- Work in a 50/50 M/F team with 10 nationalities and 3 PhDs
- Get paid to save the world
NO AGENCIES THANKS