The Climate Group is looking for a Head of Events to lead our purpose-led international events team. Responsible for delivering a series of major events, including Climate Week NYC, this role plays a critical part in leading our global events and networking activity.
This is a fixed-term, maternity cover contract that will be at the forefront of some of the most high profile climate action moments, planning and delivering events in around the world with some of the most senior figures from business and government.
About Climate Group
The Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action. We share what we achieve to show more organisations what they could do.
We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York. Climate Week NYC is our international climate event that takes place in New York City every September alongside the United Nations General Assembly. As the flagship event for the Climate Group, and the largest Climate Week event to take place in the world, it plays a central role in promoting and supporting the Climate Group’s world leading initiatives, as well as providing a major platform for business, government and public engagement and action.
About the role
This role is responsible for overseeing the planning and delivery of Climate Group’s events, most prominently Climate Week NYC, and involves management of multiple stakeholders, key event contractors, events budget development, and management of events staff including event marketing and production. This senior role will provide strategic leadership for Climate Group and will work closely with the content and commercial teams. It will combine direct oversight of our central world leading events, with responsibility for helping grow our international events program, both directly and through the support of international teams in US, India and China.
The position will report to the Head of Climate Week, based in NYC and London, and sits within the Global Communications Team. This position will require international travel.
This is an exciting and critical role in a growing team, taking a lead role on one of the most highly regarded climate action events in the world. This position will need to work confidently with business and government teams at the most senior level.
This is a fast paced and demanding role that provides significant opportunities for growth and development within the events, communications and climate change space. This is an opportunity to play a key role in bringing together those at the forefront of climate action and make a real difference.
Key responsibilities will include but will not be limited to the following:
Strategy and Planning
- Working with line manager to executive the Climate Group event strategy
- Identify key areas for growth both for our sponsored events and wider Climate Group events
- Lead on ideas to make online events engaging and attractive to our audiences
- Lead the strategy in developing hybrid events for both live and digital speakers and audiences
- Lead on all core event related components of Climate Week NYC and deputizing for the Head of Climate Week from our UK HQ
- Work closely with our commercial team to ensure Climate Week NYC supports event related sponsorship deliverables, as well as providing strategic support for the creation of new commercial opportunities
- Creation and oversight of sponsored events budgets, working with line manager and other Climate Group teams to deliver a series of global events that bring together key figures who can catalyse change
Event Management and Delivery
- Support the creation of an overall project plan for Climate Week NYC alongside the Head of Climate Week and working in collaboration with Climate Group commercial and programmatic teams
- Build on and push out across the organisation the processes to help the global teams deliver and manage successful events, providing strategic leadership that will enable growth, commercial sustainability and content objectives
- Produce required event tools, e.g. templates, plans, checklist, online event guides etc. to support colleagues in delivering events more effectively
- Manage external event agencies and temporary staff – including negotiating contracts, overseeing delivery and evaluating the performance
- Proactive in flagging risks, proposing and implementing solutions
- Work on pre-event production including pre-recording elements of events for Climate Week NYC
Development and Curation
- Take ownership of the central events calendar that will provide a platform for leading businesses and governments tackling climate action to collaborate, communicate and celebrate success
- Proactive engagement with Climate Week NYC workstream team leads, supporting continuous collaboration and support
- Uphold and ensure all Climate Group events are of a high standard including branding, pre-event planning, marketing and delivery. Implement improvements where necessary
- Explore and develop areas of innovation and growth, including expanding and improving online event opportunities such as webinars and briefing sessions
- Supporting teams in ensuring that Climate Group events are meeting our fundraising deliverables and objectives
- Working across teams and leading on improvements for delivering events across global teams, providing advice and support to colleagues and leading on specific initiatives
- Oversee our event marketing and delegate management process through line management of the Senior Events Marketing Officer.
- Oversee the content of our high-level events including the flagship events at Climate Week through the line management of the Content Producer, Climate Week NYC
- Oversee the management of all external partners and agencies as required
- Responsible for conducting appraisals and the development of all roles, as well as any other temporary or permanent staff that may report to this role in the future (including positions that may be based overseas)
You will have experience in running large events at a senior level and a proven ability to work successfully across multiple teams within an organisation. This is an ideal role for someone looking to broaden their horizons beyond core events management, with significant opportunities to support the development of existing events and expand the events portfolio at a senior level.
You will have ambitions to expand your experience on an international basis, and balance creative flair with watertight organisational and project management skills.
- Proven track required in running major events and ability to understand the full scope of event leadership from strategy and development through to on the ground delivery
- Expertise and creative insight in how to produce events, activations and onstage moments that are engaging and informative both for online and live events
- Online event experience
- Experience in managing and evaluating performance of external events agencies and temporary staff
- Confident approach to working with corporate partners at a senior level
- Strong budget management skills with the ability to negotiate contracts, oversee spend, and report on costs
- Line management experience
- Experience in running events outside of the UK, particularly the US
- Experience using Salesforce, CVent and On24
- Understanding of the broader issues relating to tackling climate change
- Experience in working on hybrid events
- Additional languages
- Experience in working with high level speakers (heads of national/subnational governments or global business CEOs)
You will be employed at our London headquarters. Since COVID-19, our London office has been working mostly from home with the ability to use our temporary office near Borough for key meetings with colleagues. From September, subject to government guidelines we envisage to return to office-based working with flexible blended approach (e.g. 3 days in the office, 2 days working from home). We are also in the process of moving offices to a new permanent London location (Zone1). Until then, this role can be done remotely but will require the post holder to be based in the UK. This position may require international travel.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time fixed term position for 16 months. We offer salary of £53,730 – £65,670 per annum, based on experience. In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays; additional leave following three and six years’ service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
- Volunteering day on completion of probation
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information, please contact Mandy Simmons, Head of Events at email@example.com
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter. The expected closing date for submitting your application is Monday 21 June 2021.
We are an inclusive employer who welcomes applications from all backgrounds.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by the Climate Group.