Our ultimate goal is to ‘Fix the Food Chain’ -by building the best online grocery business possible. We think it’s vital that you know how you can help us do this from the very beginning. Our mission will only be delivered through living our core values and focusing on what we’re trying to deliver, on having great people, delivering a great business.
To introduce you to those early on, here is how you will help us do that:
By being kind...you exemplify the way people can be kind. You will help develop the hub personnel to be the best they can be and channel the inner desire to flourish.
By being passionate... you have to really get our mission. And you have to be passionate that the the way we work today can be better through continuous improvement
By being transparent…we work with utmost transparency. Giving feedback and open communication with the hub teams is essential. We talk about our rationale for decisions, we show our working and thinking and we are honest.
By loving our customers...for this role – this means both the ones that shop with us and our internal customers at Farmdrop such as the retail team for example. We want our customers to have the best experience so they will want to shop with us again and again.
By being smart… With this role you will need to see opportunities and sort them out. You will have your hands dirty, you will be ‘in the long grass’ – but you must work smartly. We all try to drive efficiencies in every way we can. You must think of other solutions to problems. In this role it’s highly likely there will be more tasks than time to complete them. Prioritising will be key and implementing new smarter, efficient ways of working.
And by being better…in all ways. We want rockstars, heroes, and legends…someone who is born to do this role. Our bar is set really high and we don’t mess around. We are looking for an achiever who chooses to keep raising their own personal bar and set a culture for team achievement. You naturally coach and develop people – helping everyone around you to be better. You should have the mindset better is endless and be restless in pursuit and better ways of working.
The role of Head of Hub Operations is a critical role to deliver our mission here at Farmdrop. The role will report to the VP of Operations and be accountable for all performance from the hub locations. You will be a key player on the operations leadership team working together to drive excellence across all our people, process and operations. The scope of the role is to own the Hub performance across all areas of operational metrics, but with safety and quality always being the first priority. You will help us to embark upon a continuous improvement journey and be a key leader of this transformation.
Nuts and Bolts of the role
or apples and pears if you don’t mind the fruit analogy
Patrick is our VP of Operations, joined from Weetabix in the UK. Prior to that he looked after the Americas supply chain for a major FMCG organisation, based in Utah. He has spent over 20 years in operational roles and joined Farmdrop in September 2020.
Richard is our hub operations manager who leads our Enfield and Bristol teams ensuring we provide our fantastic product range to the customers
Osman runs our Bristol hub which is a key part of Farmdrop ambient operations Laura is our Safety and Quality Manager helping us to ensure we take safety and quality as a top priority.
You will also work with the stock team and the wider operations lead team, including projects management
We are in the growth business, so likely we will open more hubs and expand as will this role. We want Farmdop to be available wider in the UK and this role will support that ambition
Your closet working relationships (peas in a pod)
Lee is our Fleet Manager who makes sure our deliveries are on time and delivered in an environmentally friendly way, making our customers super happy
Harry leads operational projects and works to make life better for the operation and expansion to meet our growth ambitions
Laura is our safety and quality manager making sure these areas are prioritised across operations and the business. You will be a key player here.
Osman is in charge of our Bristol Hub making sure the ambient goods are delivered perfectly to the Enfield hub
You will work closely with the retail team to make sure day to day delivery is superb and our growth mission is realised
Low Hanging Fruit
- Improve operational performance of the hubs
- More training for the teams will lead us to better, consistent performance
- Standards and processes can be improved to avoid fire fighting too often
- Lean culture and thinking can be implemented across the hubs which will bring Farmdrop excellence to the operations
- Safety and quality awareness within the hubs is key to ensure we win hearts and minds to improve these areas
- Reducing cost per pick will help us grow the business and go towards achieving our mission
- Help us to expand our operations footprint to support anticipated growth
What the day job will probably look like
- Managing and leading the day to day hub operations, including line management of safety & quality manager, hub managers and stock teams
- Engaging and leading the hub teams and ensuring they are at their best every day and customer orders are picked and packed efficiently and delight our customers
- Safety and quality are at the forefront of operations and should be driven relentlessly. This will be done by help shaping safety and quality policy for deployment across hub operations
- Owning the hub operational metrics for Farmdrop with consistently improving trends
- Training and development of the hub teams
- Ensuring inventory accuracy is superb, leading to our happy customers getting what they ordered when they want it
- You will own HACCP for the hubs and any other standards and accreditations we may need or want
- Our customers deserve the best and you will make this happen by dealing with any complaints and putting in corrective and preventive actions to ensure things don’t happen twice
- You will be a problem solver who is restless in the pursuit of a better way of doing things
What You Need to Get the Job Done
- Engaging management & leadership style to work with an highly motivated workforce to improve things together
- Ability to operate at a fast past. We have growing pains due to the speed at which we are growing and this requires agility in mindset and actions within operations
- A restless desire to continuously be better and to embed this across the hubs
- A collaborative approach. This is the way we work at Farmdrop.
What Will Make Us REALLY Love you
- Having significant experience of running fast paced warehouse or manufacturing operations
- Delivered operational improvements across safety, quality, service and cost
- Track record of building capability within the teams
- Ideally implemented a successful lean or continuous improvement programme
- Tenacity, ownership and high level of drive to make the difference
- Experience of setting up new warehouse or hub operations, especially in the UK
Why you will REALLY love us
- A business with a conscience – we want everyone to have an amazing experience. From our suppliers, our customers and you
- Ability to influence and grow
- Fast working pace – we seem to have our own time zone ‘Farmdrop Time’ – we like to get things done nice and quickly – and exceptionally well.
- Great perks
- Vitality Private Medical Insurance (that comes with loads of perks)
- Monthly £25 allowance for you spending on your ‘Mind and Body’
- Discount on your Farmdrop shopping
- Time off for charity volunteering
- Season Ticket Loan (up to £5k)
- Enhanced family policies (Maternity + Paternity)
- Time off for green holiday travel – if you use the sea or train for your holidays, we will pay you two extra days holiday – we then pass that cost onto Mother Nature, but she thinks it’s worth the spend!
- Cycle to Work – usual scheme that most offer – but it’s a really great saving