At Arrival, our team is creating best-in-class electric vehicles using a radical new method of design and production. We work with some of the world’s leading businesses and governments to achieve our goal of redefining mobility and transport ecosystems, transforming how people and goods travel and enhancing urban environments for all communities.
Innovation, rapid development and testing help us to push the boundaries. Our New Method takes our portfolio of patented technologies created in-house, and combines it with assembly in Arrival Microfactories. It’s a groundbreaking approach, leading to products with maximum functionality, peak efficiency, and an elevated experience – at a much more competitive price than other electric vehicles, and even fossil fuel vehicles.
We’ve assembled some of the finest minds in software, hardware, AI and robotics and we’re now doing the same with the critical functions in Arrival’s Industrialisation group. We are seeking a Head of Industrial Engineering to support Arrival’s efforts to cross the chasm from prototype development to serial production.
- Lead and scale Arrival’s Industrial Engineering community, ensuring it thrives under compelling vision and execution, recruitment, and ongoing mentorship
- Operate within a matrix organizational structure, liaising with project/program leads and managers to ensure appropriate community capacity and capability planning, allocation, and performance throughout the associated project/program life cycles
- Develop a fit for purpose strategy for engineering domains focused on process engineering, robotics, and discrete event simulation, logistics and packaging engineering, and production/end-of-line test systems development
- Drive Arrival’s strategic vision of robotics-enabled manufacturing processes, working with your leadership and engineering counterparts in Arrival’s product design organization to develop and maintain a unified and consolidated strategy between product characteristics and enabling process technologies and parameters.
- Work cross-functionally to develop and advance fit for purpose methods to embed design for manufacturing feedback at appropriate points across the product design lifecycle
- Ensure ongoing alignment to Arrival’s unified manufacturing solution strategy (validated process technologies, enabling equipment library, modular/grid facility architecture, and digital enablers)
- Directly contribute to Arrival’s innovation and technology strategy (hardware + software), liaising with the Arrival’s Robotics, Digital, and Assembly Technologies teams to identify and drive initiatives to improve the community and overall group efficiency and effectiveness
- Set objectives and key results (OKRs) for the Industrial Engineering community in line with Arrival’s overall business objectives and drive associated performance. Report on community activities on a regular basis to the Senior Management team, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Work closely with technical and delivery leaders to set and shape appropriate key performance indicators (KPIs) to ensure technical solutions mature on time, on quality (requirements), and on cost.
- Maintain alignment with the New Product Quality community, ensuring technical solutions mature and are maintained to meet or exceed the quality requirements of our customers
- Drive community activities to optimize cost performance of Arrival’s micro-factories through capital investment, optimizing operating working capital usage, and minimizing waste through continuous improvement
- Liaise with your operational counterparts in Arrival’s serial production and quality organization to deeply understand their requirements and challenges, ensuring industrialization solutions are developed to meet them
- Drive micro-factory verification and validation plans to ensure robust and comprehensive technical solutions are delivered to Arrival’s serial production and quality organization
- Develop fit for purpose methods to enable ongoing product, unified process, and micro-factory instance change content
- Act as the main technical point of contact for contracted industrialization partners across a number of associated projects/programs, effectively managing cross-organizational technical execution
- Identify strategic and operational blind spots and weaknesses within the Arrival’s overall engineering landscape, and build coalitions to drive and sustain improvement
- Advance a data-driven mindset to performance management and a culture of continuous improvement
- Support and maintain a culture of openness, continuous improvement, and strong team dynamics. Ensure team members feel safe to experiment and iterate to solve new and evolving challenges
- Effectively participate in recurring business planning as it relates to the overall objective and roadmap planning, financial management, and risk mitigation
- Liaise with Operational Excellence to set team member learning and development objectives, ensuring community growth in line with broader business requirements and strategy
- Lead community people management in collaboration with Arrival’s Talent and Human Resources team
- Collaborate among the broader leadership community developing and sharing your best practices
- Possess in-depth experience of the industrialization engineering domain in a complex product and process development and discrete manufacturing environment
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimize team performance and development
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers
- A strong and confident negotiator with the ability to negotiate at all levels, internally and externally
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines
- Commercially and financially astute with experience of managing budgets, technical mindset
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
- Experience of Six Sigma, Lean, and Kaizen, Continuous Improvement methodologies
At Arrival we want all of our employees to feel comfortable bringing their passion, creativity and individuality to work. We value all cultures, backgrounds and experiences, as we truly believe that diversity drives innovation. Join our mission to bring better, more sustainable transportation to communities around the world.