This is dining that makes a difference. Fat Macy’s is a social enterprise making life-changing food. Enjoy investive menus created using seasonal ingredients, all served with our typical feel-good atmosphere.
Our team are Londoners supported on their journey from hostels to their own homes. Trained by our talented chiefs and mentors, they add their own stories to create a unique dining experience.
Fat Macy’s is an award winning social enterprise committed to providing opportunities for Londoners living in homeless hostel accommodation. We have recently opened a new restaurant and deli, Ebury by Fat Macy’s, located on Ebury Bridge Road.
Alongside the new deli, we run events, catering and Training Academy programmes. We train and support young Londoners living in temporary accommodation, aiming to help them move into their own homes.
Fat Macy’s combines excellent food with social enterprise expertise – creating a unique model that not only serves delicious food to Londoners, but constructs a much-needed pathway from hostel to home for our trainees.
Founded in 2016, we have been funded by the National Lottery, UnLtd, and the Paul Hamlyn Foundation among many other generous supporters. Our work has been featured in the BBC, the New Statesman, VICE and Time Out.
About the role
The Head of Marketing is a brand new role at Fat Macy’s, and we’re excited to get the right person in position to shape and lead our marketing, branding and content as we scale.
You will be responsible for writing and delivering the Fat Macy’s marketing and communications strategy. This is a brand new role at Fat Macy’s and there is scope for development and progress, defining the role as you go. We’re looking for someone with the vision and expertise to take Fat Macy’s to the next level. We need a committed, enthusiastic and driven individual, looking for an exciting new role in an expanding social business, who can take a hands on approach to our marketing and communications work.
We have recently opened our first restaurant – Ebury by Fat Macy’s, and there will be a second site in Shoreditch launched before the end of the year. We are undergoing a brand review and looking at
how to position and sell Fat Macy’s, our restaurants and our catering and wholesale offer under one unified brand.
You will be responsible for shaping our marketing strategy while we grow over the coming years, working to showcase our major developments in 2021 – from our restaurants, to venue launches, to catering and wholesale business. Alongside success of our restaurants, we aim to position Fat Macy’s as ‘the’ social enterprise caterer in London.
Communicating our social mission to the world clearly and effectively will be a key element of the role. You will help to define our communications and marketing strategy, attracting more customers to the business by building content for social media platforms, working with trainees to tell their stories, and update content on our social media platforms, website and newsletters.
You will also have the opportunity to work closely with our partners, gaining broad experience of different communications departments in the social enterprise sector.
We’re a dynamic team of ten people working across the social enterprise. All team members uphold our Fat Macy’s values:
- ● Tailored – We think of the individual – there is not one cause of homelessness, there is not one solution. We see catering as a great starting point to kick off any career, but know that not everybody dreams of working in this industry. Fat Macy’s is a springboard for whatever future our trainees aspire to.
- ● Holistic – We go with trainees all the way – focusing on training, employability, budgeting, personal support, work experience and everything in between.
- ● Strength Based – We take a positive approach to every aspect of our work – building on the strengths in each individual trainee and ensuring their voice is involved every step of the way.
- ● Personal – We are human. We do not adopt a clinical approach to our work: we are human-centred and people are at the heart of what we do. We listen, we hear, and we act accordingly.
- ● Innovative – We change. If things aren’t going right, we adapt and change direction. We work to achieve sustainable, long lasting change and are willing to adapt our practice at any point to make this happen.
The ideal person
● You enjoy working with people from all walks of life – we’re a diverse team and encourage this within our teams.
- ● You’re organised, hard working and have excellent attention to detail.
- ● We need team players – you’ll be ambitious but can listen, and work well with others.
What we can offer you
- ● An incredible learning experience working within an impactful social enterprise that addresses one of the biggest issues facing the UK
- ● Excellent opportunities for progression within an exciting and growing team
- ● Opportunities for flexible working
Our ideal candidate:
- ● You’ll have worked in strategic marketing or communications, and have a good understanding of brand management and storytelling
- ● You’ll have worked with great people in the food industry, and have a real passion for food
- ● You’ll have a working knowledge of social media marketing, including producing imagery, copywriting, community management, and both organic and paid social media marketing
- ● You’ll have a real enthusiasm for making London a better place through food. You enjoy working with Londoners of all walks of life, and will mentor and support them in their journey with Fat Macy’s
- ● You’ll know about digital marketing, user journey and content production
- ● You’ve for experience of data and aa=laytics to analyse our marketing, the market and
- ● You’ll have a keen eye for design
- ● You’re organised, hard working and have excellent attention to detail
- ● We need team players – you’ll be ambitious but can listen, and work well with others
- ● The ability to get things done
- ● Building the food brand: we have just opened our first restaurant, and turned five this March. There’s lots to celebrate, and we need to ensure our fresh branding reflects all that we do.
- ● Comms strategy: you will create and manage content for all channels, and regularly update our website and send email marketing campaigns.
- ● Press: we always want to get/ create press attention, so you will help craft press releases and liaise with journalists when we have great things to shout about.
- ● Administration: you will manage comms inboxes, dealing with inquiries and making sure messages are received by relevant team members
- ● Social media: scheduling content across Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, managing community engagement, content ideation and creation and reporting. Timing here is key and you will be in charge of creating a strategy to stay ahead.
● As a social enterprise, you will work on getting the balance right between the food-based marketing and ensuring the voices of our trainees are heard across our social media channels
- ● Proactive, confident individual who is adaptable to different working styles and working independently.
- ● Demonstrable experience working in a dynamic and demanding team, across many different projects.
- ● Outstanding organisational and time management skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities simultaneously.
- ● Excellent attention to detail and high standards of accuracy.
- ● Strong professional written and oral communication skills.
- ● Good interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with a diverse, busy team and interacting
with varying stakeholders, from customers to funders.
- ● Good PC skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, Google Docs, Sheets and Slides).
- ● Experience with CMS (Wordpress), CRM (Mailchimp) and social media platforms is desirable
- ● A positive approach and can do attitude.
- ● Understanding of sales processes, consumer behaviour and ROI
- ● Passion for social change, homelessness and food
- ● Interest/experience in one or all of: training and education, early stage startups, homelessness,
food delivery, business development, community building
- ● Experience of food photography, food social media and/or PR
- ● Experience of launching new products in the food/beverage market
- ● Working knowledge of InDesign or Photoshop
- ● Salary: £32,000 – £35,000 (depending on experience)
- ● Hours: Full time or 3-4 days per week considered (flexible working encouraged)
- ● Location: We’re based at Ebury by Fat Macy’s on Ebury Bridge Road. However we encourage
flexible working and encourage working from home given the current pandemic.
- ● Start: June 2021
- ● As a precondition of employment we’ll need you to complete an enhanced Disclosure and
Barring Service check and provide two satisfactory references, one of which should detail your suitability to work with young people and another to be from your most recent employer.
Send your CV to email@example.com along with a one page document outlining your vision for Fat Macy’s marketing strategy over the upcoming years. This is a rolling vacancy, and we will interview as we receive applications. The final deadline for applications is Friday 4th June 2021.
Please also cover (video or written):
- ● Why are you the right person for the job?
- ● What about the job excites you?
Talk to us
If you have any questions, please get in touch via our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome initial conversations before the deadline if you’d like an informal chat.