SYSTEMIQ is an organisation driving system change in clean energy, circular material solutions and sustainable land use. By addressing failures in these areas, SYSTEMIQ aims to unlock economic opportunities that benefit business, society and the environment. We connect the right people, ideas, technologies, and capital to transform economic systems. We do this through five activities:
- Convene and support coalitions of leaders to shape policies and business strategies that will rapidly transform economic activity;
- Work with companies that want to be pioneers in and drivers of change towards more sustainable systems;
- Co-create and incubate the market solutions most likely to build regenerative economic systems;
- Invest our own venture capital and expertise in opportunities with the biggest potential to drive rapid system change;
- Direct larger pools of capital into regenerative economic systems, so that these scale and multiply.
In order to deliver in these areas, we recruit and develop distinctive and varied individuals who strive to achieve our mission, challenge the status quo and act as change leaders.
The Energy Transitions Commission (ETC)
The Energy Transitions Commission (ETC) is a global coalition of over 40 leading global executives from across the energy landscape (energy companies, energy-intensive industries, equipment providers, investors, environmental NGOs and academics). Its mission is to define how to most effectively transition to net-zero carbon energy systems that also enable economic prosperity, and how to accelerate the required action from public and private decision-makers. The ETC’s secretariat is hosted by SYSTEMIQ.
The ETC positions itself as a unique voice in the global and regional climate/energy debates (due to the diversity of its membership), a thought-partner for policymakers, private sector players and civil society stakeholders, and a convener of action-oriented high-level discussions, able to bring around the same table a varied range of stakeholders to orchestrate in-depth, analytically-robust debates on specific aspects of the transition that can truly inform and build support for ambitious actions.
The Mission Possible Partnership (MPP)
In 2021, the Energy Transitions Commission contributed to the launch of the Mission Possible Partnership (MPP), an alliance of climate leaders focused on supercharging efforts to decarbonize some of the world’s highest emitting industries in the next 10 years, in partnership with RMI, We Mean Business coalition and the World Economic Forum.
MPP aims to provide a forum to trigger a net-zero transformation in seven harder-to-abate sectors (chemicals, concrete/cement, steel, aluminium, trucking, shipping and aviation) through collaboration between the most ambitious industry leaders in those value chains. Our goal is to propel a committed community of CEOs from carbon-intensive industries, together with their financiers, customers and suppliers, to agree—and more importantly, to act—on the essential decisions required for decarbonising industry and transport in this decade.
The Head of Mobility Decarbonisation will be hired by SYSTEMIQ and positioned within the ETC/MPP team. They will play a critical role in shaping and driving industry-led progress on the transition to carbon-neutral mobility, with a particular focus on aviation and shipping. The Head of Mobility Decarbonisation will be responsible for overseeing the ETC’s contribution to the Mission Possible Partnership’s mobility work. This includes scoping and driving analyses on the most critical dimensions of the sector decarbonisation agenda for those sectors – including technology deployment, investment needs, demand creation, policy support –, leading engagement with industry leaders to create alignment on sector transition strategies and secure commitments to actions, as well as coordinating and collaborating closely with partner organisations across MPP.
The candidate will be the ETC/MPP’s go-to expert on the transition to net-zero emissions in the mobility sectors, leading a analytics and engagement team of 4-5 analysts to provide insights to multiple stakeholder groups. She/He will craft compelling narratives based on qualitative and quantitative analysis, which motivate senior industry executives and policy stakeholders. She/He will have an appetite to grip the big picture and the systems-implications of the transition, while also understanding the details underpinning analytical work and the motivations of different stakeholders across the mobility value chain. She/He will be proactive and able to deliver autonomously, taking ownership for delivery of MPP’s analytical and engagement work-programme. Our ideal candidate is also motivated by coaching a team of highly motivated associates, helping them to develop their skills and build expertise.
The candidate will have a highly collaborative mindset, using insights developed across a broad set of partners to inform and refine MPP’s narrative and analytical approach, and building strong relationships with senior executives and experts from MPP’s network.
The Head of Mobility Decarbonisation will take a central role in leading ETC/MPP’s analysis and engagement in the mobility sectors, with a particular focus on aviation and shipping. She/He will be expected to orchestrate a broad set of activities supporting industry to accelerate the shift to net-zero pathways. Specifically:
- Structure and prioritise the different work programmes that the ETC’s mobility team drives on behalf of and in collaboration with the Mission Possible Partnership
- Drive complex and international work to completion, and ensure day-to-day management of multiple simultaneous workstreams and competing priorities, while maintaining a sense of direction and adapting to evolving policy and business landscapes
- Manage and ensure high-quality output from in-house analytical and engagement team (4-5 associates), coaching & developing junior team members to help them build expertise and skills
- Lead joint research and engagement projects delivered in collaboration with delivery partners and supervising subcontracted analyses
- Ensure regular progress reporting to the Mission Possible Partnership and the Energy Transitions Commission’s leadership
- Create high-quality analytical outputs which develop the ETC/MPP’s point of view on the most complex elements of the net-zero transition, and inform discussions with industry & policy makers
- Lead a range of quantitative and qualitative analysis, developing appropriate methodologies/approaches, overcoming analytical roadblocks, and quality assuring outputs produced by team members
- Synthesize analytical insights to bring clarity and structure on complex and disparate topics
- Refine analyses / narratives in close collaboration with industry players and external experts, ensuring alignment and developing buy-in from those stakeholders
- Articulate analytically robust, high-ambition, industry-backed compelling narratives, anchored in analytical work, refining for multiple audiences (e.g., senior executives, technical experts, policy makers)
- Produce workshop materials, policy briefs, technical papers, long-form reports, and other relevant materials with the support of the ETC/MPP mobility team
- Work with the MPP and ETC Communications team to develop communication assets suitable for a broader audience, leveraging ETC/MPP analysis and insights
- Prepare and drive discussions between industry representatives to shape a high-ambition consensus on steps to be taken to progress the industry towards net-zero emissions
- Work closely with senior industry representatives to develop and secure buy-in for meaningful commitments to actions, anchored in analytical work
- Foster and nurture relationships across a broad stakeholder community – including partner organisations (in particular the core partners of the Mission Possible Partnership), senior business representatives across relevant value chains, relevant policy interlocutors, relevant external experts from NGOs, thinktanks and academia
- Navigate, manage and deconflict divergent and complex differences of opinion amongst stakeholders
- Represent ETC/MPP in external meetings, workshops and conferences
- 7+ years in a top-tier strategy position
- Proven track-record working across corporate, finance, NGO and policy spheres
- Proactive and self-starter, appetite for working autonomously in a fast-paced environment
- Proven track-record leading and managing a team:
- Ability to structure and prioritise a complex, multiple-faceted work programme, including for junior team members
- Detail-orientated while also able to understand the big picture
- Experience coaching and developing direct reports
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills – confident structuring and leading high-quality quantitative and qualitative analytics on a range of different topics:
- Ability to develop compelling narratives based on quantitative and qualitative data, tailoring messages and content as appropriate for audience
- Applying rigorous quality assurance (content, narrative and clarity of messages)
- Excellent communications skills (verbal, written, presentation):
- Comfortable presenting and facilitating discussions in a range of settings
- Experience structuring and leading discussions with senior stakeholders, including senior corporate executives
- Confident writing concise, well-structured documents (in both report and presentation formats) conveying clear but subtle messages
- Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative team player:
- Ability to build credibility and nurture trusting relationships with stakeholders from different organisational and geographical backgrounds
- Aptitude for managing sensitive group dynamics
- Subject matter expertise in energy and/or climate – or appetite and ability to go through a steep learning curve over a short period of time
- Excellent digital skills: Powerpoint, Excel, Word
- Master’s or equivalent degree
- Expertise in the decarbonisation of the mobility sector, including aviation and shipping
- Experience in corporate strategy, in particular related to sustainability and climate
- Experience engaging with corporate and government leaders to drive alignment on a certain agenda and secure commitments to action
- Experience developing thought leadership for stakeholder influencing purposes (e.g., long-form reports, infographics, data visualisation, op-eds, digital content)
- Experience working in a collaborative organisation (e.g., coalitions / partnerships)
- Experience in fundraising, proposal and bid writing
- Knowledge of the mobility/energy/climate policy environment in Europe, India, China or the US
- Proficiency in Chinese, Urdu, Hindi, French or German
We offer the opportunity to benefit from the world-leading networks of our partners and be part of a high-calibre, driven, and fun/friendly team. We are keen to receive applications from all parts of the global community. Ideally, you have the Right to Work in the location you are applying for.