Oxwash is re-engineering the laundry industry from the ground up. Our aim is for clinically-clean, net-zero carbon emissions for the whole laundry process. This has never been accomplished and we are determined to be the first truly sustainable on-demand laundry company in the world. We currently operate in Oxford, Cambridge and London (Battersea), with big plans for further growth throughout the UK as well as into the US. We are a tech company at heart and build our own software to power our sustainable laundries and logistics. We are venture backed, having raised several rounds of investment from notable investors including Biz Stone, the cofounder of Twitter, Paul Forster, the founder of Indeed.com and Reckitt, the corporate that owns the stain remover Vanish. We announced our ‘Oxwash, powered by Vanish’ partnership in early 2021.
We are looking for incredible people with the passion, skills and abilities to deliver our Oxwash mission. This is not your standard corporate job. Working for a fast growing startup is hard; it’s fast paced and it’s likely this will be the toughest job you have ever done. You should be driven by a deep seated desire to change the climate crisis for the better.
We need a ‘Swiss army knife’ of a Head of Operations. Someone who is unphased by the seemingly impossible. You will need a level head, exceptional organisation and great ability to adapt and change between projects and tasks. You might be working on managing HR issues in the morning, building spreadsheets over lunch and then fixing bikes in the afternoon. All before jumping in your car to cover a laundry shift in another city the next morning!
You will be the right hand person to our COO. You will work closely together on a daily basis to drive the operational growth of the business. We never sit still, ever, and you will work together to ensure operations never block the growth of the business.
As a member of our HQ team, you are expected to lead from the front, having a work ethic where you wouldn’t ask anyone else to do something, you’re not willing to do yourself. You will have an intimate view into the inner workings of a high growth startup and you will often be expected to contribute to the strategic planning with the C-suite.
Your role is to keep our washing machines spinning, the bikes rolling and our customers happy, day after day, no matter what.
A large part of your role will be to ensure standardisation across all of our laundry sites. It’s imperative that things are done in the exact same way in each of our laundries, from the dosing of detergent in the machines to the way we fold a customer’s pillow cases. We are building a franchise model and you will help write the playbook.
You will manage the operations teams and must be great with people. Our team of rockstar Oxwashers is the foundation of our business and it is key that you can integrate seamlessly into any situation at the drop of a hat. We are proud of our culture and you must embody this in your day to day.
HR will be a big part of your role and you will have the support of the COO and our advisors. You will take on the onboarding of all team members and will be responsible for ensuring reviews are scheduled and conducted. You must also be comfortable dealing with financial data, payments and invoices.
We expect you to be an expert at hiring and onboarding new talent. You will have extensive experience finding the best candidates.
We expect you to act in an environmentally conscious way, with a passion to do more. Not only reduce environmental impact but be a role model for positive change.
- You are the right hand person to our COO
- You are expected to hustle every single day. Every penny counts. If you can’t find it, make it. If we can’t make it, buy it, but only at a discount.
- This is not your traditional 9-5. You’re expected to not consider a hard line between work and home. Work is a part of your life and home is a part of work. We give and support family life as we are doing this for the future of our families. You are expected to balance this.
- Burnout is real. You are expected to manage your levels of energy, time and maintain a healthy balance to ensure you are at your A game every day.You are also responsible to make sure your teams do the same.
- Oxwash makes leaders not managers. Your role is to make sure every member of the team has the skills and knowledge to be a disruptor for good if they were to leave the company and make sure they love their job enough to stay.
- Confident using technology
- Confident speaking on the phone
- Ability to communicate your ideas visually
- A high competency in presenting and thought leadership
- High competency in IT literacy ─ using programs such as the Windows suite and Google suit
- Native level speaker in English and high written competency in English
- Must have a valid UK driving license and own personal transport
- Must be able to travel between UK cities at short notice and be prepared to stay away from home for extended periods of time
- Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilising various transportation methods.
- Must be able to work at a desk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to move around for particular tasks
- Must be able to lift objects up to 25kg
- Ability to use a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanour within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Free laundry and wet cleaning (of course!)
- Free mental health support through SPILL
- EMI Equity Share in the business
- Flexible working environment
- 30 days holiday including eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- On-site parking for bicycles and cars
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. However, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.