Quorn Foods, with our entrepreneurial spirit is a great place to work. Our people are passionate, take initiative and accountability and, most of all, work together as one team, focused on one shared goal with common values.
We are an ambitious, growing, independent FMCG company, focused on creating the world’s leading meat-alternative business, through our market leading Quorn and Cauldron brands. We are a global business that designs, manufactures and sells our healthy protein products globally with annual sales turnover in excess of $250 million across 17 territories.
Job Description: Head of Strategic Innovation Platforms
Reports to: R&D Director
Purpose of role:
A visionary leader with a strong track record of delivery of successful innovation across global markets; unlocked by deep science and technology development. Has a passion for food and creating a sustainable world. Be an innovator and idea generator to advance leading-edge technology and science to enable continual innovation and leadership standing.
Your Key Contributions and Tasks/Accountabilities
- Define and deliver the medium to long term roadmap for strategic science and technology platforms which will drive future business growth
- Build the fundamental capabilities to underpin the science and technology agenda: including high-calibre Biotech Foundry and Bio-reactor design, forensic measurement science, and data analysis & modelling
- Own the STIP project portfolio and manage the portfolio to ensure funding and regular cadence of delivery in line with business calendars – up to 3 years out.
- Build and own the IP and Knowledge Management strategies and processes for the organisation
- Build and maintain a strong external network of partners, collaborators, consultants etc to drive the technology agenda using robust OI approach
- Influence and engage proactively with key external funding partners (eg UKRI) at strategic (Strategic Advisory Boards / Business Engagement Forum) and tactical levels ( Funding Review Panels )
- Build strategic technology trend and foresighting capability and processes to ID new science and technology opportunities and monitor technology developments across the noncompetitive set.
- Build and manage a high calibre STIP team across the Bio-tech and Food-tech teams
- Work with Science and Regulatory Affairs team members to develop dossiers for local approvals as appropriate eg new stains / fermented foods.
- Represent the company in line with the External Engagement strategy
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong Technical Fundamentals
- PhD Biotechnology with significant food innovation experience – ideally with fungal fermentation / food engineering / material science / nutritional science.
- Strong technical skill set in both core discipline and also adjacent / associated disciplines
- Managed science and technology development in the Biotech / Synbio and Food spaces with practical application and tangible results
- Ensure Rigour and robustness in the technical delivery and development approach
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver a compelling science and technology strategy aligned with the business innovation strategy and consumer platforms.
- Working knowledge of regulatory landscapes and experience in multi-market regulatory approvals-process with internal and external SRA partners
- Strong track record of delivery of complex innovation projects across multiple timelines
- Must have a strong and well-developed network, with a visible presence, across multiple external stakeholders
- In-depth understanding of the strain development process and food innovation processes.
- Significant experience in developing and leading high performing teams at a senior level (20+ people with 6/7 directs) in both the Discover and Develop space
- Proven ability to create a dynamic and agile innovation culture which reflects the aims and purposes of the company
- Role model the values and behaviours of Quorn Foods and leads by example.
- Creates compelling career development opportunities
- Adept at bringing together a diverse range of perspectives and disciplines ( Across multiple STEM disciplines) to create the necessary science and technology insights
- Demonstrated ability to influence externally especially across the research base (UKRI / Research Councils / University Advisory Boards, Industry bodies)
- Intellectually agile and curious with an ability to clearly communicate complex principles with clarity and purpose.
- Recognised eternally as a credible thought-leader and able to communicate effectively to external stakeholders
Navigate the business:
- Strong business acumen with ability to translate science into commercial value
- Strong sense of purpose and can distill that sense across partners and teams with a drive for results and ability to bring others along.
- Ability to manage a complex stakeholder agenda both internally and externally.
- Able to develop effective relationships with key partners throughout the organisation
S&T Innovation delivery:
- Can operate at pace and instil a drive for results and is restless in the pursuit of new science and technology solutions.
- Can implement a structured development framework to effectively manage delivery of technical complex projects to time and budget
- Can effectively and proactively manage project risks with the development of appropriate contingency and mitigation strategies
- Proven ability to effectively turn strategies into implementation goals and plans
We are offering a competitive salary, 25 days annual leave + bank holidays, pension scheme and life insurance options, Employee Assistance Program, and Staff Shop.