To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
A position is available in the HTS magnet team for a Magnet Systems and Instrumentation Technician. The successful candidate will be performing a wide variety of tasks in the HTS laboratory involving fabricating and assembling test magnets and associated fixtures as well as supporting the measurement cryogenic test rigs and associated instrumentation. This is a great opportunity to participate in the pioneering work taking place on HTS magnet development at Tokamak Energy. The candidate should be highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Fabricating HTS sample fixtures and sample magnet formers
- HTS coil winding for sample magnets
- Developing tooling for coil fabrication
- Fabricating/assembling/testing cryogenic test fixtures
- Sample preparation and making measurements on superconducting tapes, joints and assemblies under cryogenic conditions.
- Testing novel high field HTS magnets.
- Design and use of experimental test equipment.
- Contribute effectively in a multi-skilled team
- HNC or similar in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
- Experience of cryomagnetic system building.
- Experience of working with small-signal instrumentation wiring in cryogenic systems.
- Experience of machining.
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-skilled technical team
- Familiarity with standard laboratory electrical test equipment such as power supplies and data acquisition.
- Familiarity with fibre-optic instrumentation.
- Experience of analogue and digital electronics.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision
- Proactive attitude
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent