To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
We are currently looking for an experienced, multiskilled technician with hands-on electrical and mechanical exposure to scientific instrument build and test. You will be assembling and maintaining equipment and assisting with experiments for the Machine Instrumentation group towards the goal of tokamak fusion power production. The systems in question support the tokamak function with focus on vessel conditioning (Glow discharge cleaning, vessel baking, material deposition, etc) and fuelling (gas injection, vacuum pressure gauges, etc.) You will primarily be lab based, assembling and testing equipment offline but will also be expected to assist with installations onto the tokamak itself, working closely with the wider mechanical construction and electrical teams. This work and the systems we operate are continually evolving as we move through successive tokamak iterations.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
The instrumentation technician will take responsibility for and building, testing and maintaining of a variety of Tokamak systems. This will require:
- Thorough understanding of high and ultra-high vacuum systems, exercising best practise at all times to maintain system integrity
- Assembling vacuum chambers, pumps, gauges & fittings
- Knowledge and competence to carry out standard leak detection methods on UHV/HV systems
- Working to mechanical assembly and electrical circuit diagrams
- Understanding and implementation of electrical safety standards
- Basic fabrication such as pipe work and bracketry
- Ensuring the lab remains well ordered and assist with stock control
- Assisting with system checks prior to tokamak operations
- Practical qualification, such as NVQ level 3, HNC or equivalent time served
- Scientific instrument build experience
- Experience building and operating HV/UHV vacuum systems
- Confident reading and interpreting technical and electrical drawings
- Competent with Microsoft office
- Active listening and communication
- Time management
- Highly flexible and adaptable
- Attention to detail
- Experience operating scientific instrumentation
- Familiarity with data acquisition systems and experiment set-up
- Experience with electrical noise management and reduction
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.