It matters what the most committed people choose to do with their lives.
SYSTEMIQ is building a place where mission driven individuals & teams can collaborate and co-create better systems for our future. This is our calling. We focus on the real-world outcomes that matter, not office hours or status.
What does SYSTEMIQ do?
SYSTEMIQ orchestrates system change in clean energy, circular material solutions and sustainable land use. This means re-imagining our industries, re-configuring the world of energy, and regenerating the ecosystems around us. By addressing systemic failures in these areas, SYSTEMIQ aims to unlock economic opportunities that benefit business, society, and the environment.
Since our start in 2016, we have grown to more than 200 people working across locations in Brazil, Germany, Indonesia, the Netherlands, and the UK.
Our work includes:
- Developing a Marshall Plan for the global ocean on behalf of 14 heads of state,
- Co-leading the Circular Economy Initiative for Germany (CEID), jointly with Acatech, the German National Academy of Science and Engineering,
- Developing a “System Change Compass” to help guide the EU’s Green Deal and COVID Recovery Package,
- Accelerating the growth of the world’s largest portfolio of regenerative tropical forest businesses through our Impact Accelerator, including our work with Partnership for Forests,
- Managing the Energy Transitions Commission in aiming to accelerate transitions to zero carbon energy systems,
- Building and scaling Indonesia’s most important frontline solution for stopping plastic pollution entering our precious oceans through Project STOP,
- Working with prominent global corporates and SMEs to turn into pioneers of system change in their respective industries
The kind of work you will do
As an intern, you will get excellent and detailed exposure to the work we do here at SYSTEMIQ. You will be assigned to a specific project for 3 months and will be an integral member of the team providing valuable input. During the course of your time with us you will develop your knowledge of the industry the project relates to and will get the opportunity to work with a high performing and passionate team. You will also begin to enhance your understanding of systems change in a practical setting.
This internship opportunity is working in our Circular Economy team and is supporting a cutting edge global chemicals project. Your support will help to document and keep updated the modelling methodology (including assumptions and data sources) that drives the analysis for this project. You will also be expected to lead verification interactions with experts, and update the methodology documents as and when required with their input.
The Mindset, Skills & Experience we are looking for
Ideal candidates will have shown their passion for sustainability, people development and/or systems change in their studies and/or extracurricular activities. You are inspired by SYSTEMIQ’s mission and approach.
You ideally come with a combination of the following mindset, skills, and experience:
- Evidenced passion for SYSTEMIQ’s mission and the sustainability / environment / social enterprise space,
- PhD in a scientific field or masters with experience in writing academic papers
- Modelling experience, with ability to pick up and update complex models with large amounts of quantitative data and assumptions
- You are characterised by a self-reliant, result-oriented, and structured way of working,
- You are curious and excited to learn new things,
- You are a collaborative team player and can-do attitude,
- Ideally, you have already gained some practical work experience in previous internships or working student roles,
- You have a very good command of both written and spoken English
- Intellectual curiosity and an interest to quickly dive into new topics,
- Collaborative team player and can-do attitude,
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to identify opportunities and new initiatives and to turn them into reality,
- Resilience under stress and resourcefulness to deliver, and
- Alignment with SYSTEMIQ’s values (creativity, challenge, collaborate, change, care).
We are keen to receive applications from all parts of the community.
You must have the Right to Work in the location for the position you are applying for – SYSTEMIQ usually cannot provide sponsorship.