Kraken is the technology behind Octopus Energy. We invented, designed and built Kraken Technologies to ensure that we had the most innovative, data-centric and customer-focused technology to support our top-class customer service. Kraken Technologies now delivers transformational Energy-Tech to businesses around the world to make the global transition to green energy quicker and more affordable.
We’re now licensing Kraken Technologies to businesses globally. You can read about our partnership with E.On HERE as an example to see how Kraken is evolving our business. You can learn more about how the migration works in practice HERE.
Our aim is to have 100 million customers on the Kraken Platform by the year 2030.
Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, invest in Kraken Technologies, build more tech to make energy greener and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets, the UK and Globally.
We’re looking for someone to take on the challenge of building and launching an iOS app in the electrification space. You’ll take responsibility for building the app from the ground up and translating designs and requirements into technical reality. This is a greenfield app which will give you the opportunity to have a huge impact.
You’ll be working in a new team building the Android and iOS apps concurrently with the aim of using cross platform code sharing solutions to reduce the volume of code duplicated across platforms.
Overall you’ll work with a small, high-energy project team to bring the app to life – an exciting opportunity to work like a start-up within a rapidly scaling EnTech business.
This is an app that needs to be built to an exceptionally high standard – as such we’re looking for a world class candidate with a wide-range of skills and a strong desire to expand those skills.
What you’ll have
- Have experience in the creation of an app through all technical aspects: develop, integrate, ship, test, manage, improve.
- Proficient with Swift and have experimented with other programming languages
- Are keen to make use of new technologies like SwiftUI and GraphQL
- Can discuss vision and features within a team and propose creative solutions
- Are passionate about app architecture and can talk about the benefits and drawbacks of various patterns (MVC, MVVM, MVI/Redux)
- Knowledge of reactive libraries, offline storage, API integration, and testing
- Understanding of Apple’s design principles and interface guidelines
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Are an out the box thinker prepared to rethink the status quo.
- Are excited to explore cross platform code sharing solutions (whilst keeping the UI native)
- Some knowledge of Kotlin and/or Android Development is a plus
What you’ll love about us…
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.