Are you just starting out your career? Do you have a strategic mind and an interest in activism, social justice, or making the world a better place? Do you want to work in a creative, fast-paced, and challenging environment and work with a passionate, talented, driven team who live and breathe social impact? If so, you could be just what we’re looking for.
We’re Shape History, the social impact communications agency. We’re here to nurture a fairer world, faster, through creative storytelling, powerful brands, and strategic communications.
We’re on the lookout for candidates to fill the position of Junior Strategist who have a passion for communications and campaigning.
As part of the Strategy team, the successful candidate will carry out research, unearth powerful and actionable insights, and work on communication and engagement strategies to influence people and create meaningful change.
Ideally, you will have a deep interest in one or more of the following areas: activism and campaigning, marketing, internal communications, media and pr, and external affairs/politics. To be successful in this role, you will need to always be thinking about the future, having a strategic mindset with a creative flair. You’ll be willing to voice your opinion and consult, challenge, and inspire a wide range of partners both in the UK and around the world.
How you’ll be shaping history everyday:
- Support strategy tasks across a range of inspiring partner organisations, communicating with them on a daily basis.
- Conduct research (digital and offline) for partners across policy, advocacy, and campaigns. presenting this as required.
- Write up research insight reports including conducting SWOT and PEST analysis, competitor analysis, and audience prioritisation.
- Support the writing and implementation of communications and/or digital strategy documents and/or reports.
- Present new and innovative communications ideas across different channels and campaigns.
- Possibility to manage partner social media channels, including content calendar creation, implementation, and paid ad campaign management.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Strategy, Creative, and Planning teams, to support and make the most out content, timelines, and platforms available.
- Draft press releases, proof-reading, and if necessary, rewriting media statements.
- Support with conducting stakeholder interviews, both with our partners and with any of their beneficiaries or primary stakeholders, writing up detailed notes for analysis to feed into campaign and messaging development.
- Support our team to segment out different types of audiences for brands and campaigns to help them better understand who they are talking to.
- Write Op-Eds or blogs for both the Shape History hub and for our partners on key issues within their sector. Other written tasks may include website copy, social media copy, report writing.
- Proactively contribute to internal brainstorms about everything from campaigns ideas to social media tactics to video concepts.
You’re good at:
- Being confident, organised, working diligently, and always ready to get stuck in.
- Feeding your interest in communications, PR, marketing and/or campaigning.
- Using logic, as well as imagination, to make sense of a situation and come up with an intelligent solution.
- Working collaboratively in a team, as well as independently, and willing to roll up your sleeves during short intensive sprints.
- Working in a fast-paced environment and can adapt easily when things come up unexpectedly.
- Challenging people beyond their comfort zones, in a respectful way.
- Presenting your ideas and speaking/discussing these confidently with other team members and partners.
- Doing things without being asked, solving problems that others may not have noticed, and going out of your way to continue learning and growing
- Adopting a campaigner mindset and can demonstrate a real passion for social issues and causes.
- Effectively planning and organising how to divide your time between specific projects and activities, balancing the art of flexibility with realism
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills.
Extra bit of awesome:
- Knowledge and background in the social impact/charity/political sector, whether that be volunteering or working with charities, campaigns, NGOs, funders, or institutions.
- A strong understanding of different social media channels and latest trends.
- Experience participating in campaigns, and even being involved in creating them from start to finish.
- Any agency-specific experience.
Friday 3rd September
As part of our process, we use blind recruitment in our first round of applications. This is part of a wider race equity strategy at Shape History. When applying for this role, you will be taken to a Typeform link where you’ll be asked a series of questions. The next round of the process will include interviewing a select few candidates.
We are committed to having an inclusive culture in which everyone feels safe and supported to achieve their potential. There is a long way to go in implementing race equity in the sector and we have a robust strategy in place for delivering this at Shape History. We actively encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups, including those with lived experience of social issues we are working to address.