Space Forge is transforming return from space to deliver revolutionary experiments and products, for the benefit of humanity.
We are developing an end-to-end service for a satellite that can be launched into orbit, manufacture new materials, return independently, then be recovered, refurbished and relaunched. We have a core team of highly qualified engineers who are developing the key technologies simultaneously and we are in need of a lead electronics engineer.
Ultimately we are looking for someone who can lead the development of the electronics we need for our service, both on ground and in orbit, to achieve our goal of transforming return from space for the benefit of humanity.
The primary roles for this job are:
- Lead for the design, build and test of the electronics for our systems, which will be a mixture of analogue and digital developments.
- Helping us to set up our electronics design and build capability, including a development lab in Cardiff.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Leading the development of the space and ground electronics hardware that we need to build our reusable satellite service.
- Creating plans and executing them for the build and test of electronics hardware.
- Documenting interfaces and operational procedures for internal use.
- Engaging with internal and external subsystem providers to ensure compatibility with the whole system.
- Assisting with electronics debugging on test days and during space missions.
A typical day:
- Creating schematics and Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) using Fusion 360 / Eagle
- Updating designs, engineering budgets and test data with our concurrent design tools
- Assembling electronics and integrating into hardware units
- Writing firmware and carrying out functional & performance testing of electronics hardware
- Working with both commercial and space grade electronic systems
- Being out in the field testing satellite recovery hardware
- Working closely with the engineering team and CTO to solve problems and refine baselines
The Space Forge team is deliberately made from individuals who are adaptable and willing to learn new skills quickly. Therefore we are looking for engineers who are willing and able to adapt to the requirements asked of them whilst maintaining a good level of technical quality. Additionally as a start-up, staff are sometimes asked to assist with duties beyond their nominal job description and we are looking for candidates who are happy to step up and try something new when needed.
- Both analogue and embedded electronics, interfacing to sensors using microprocessors and communicating with on-board computers running higher levels of software.
- Schematic and PCB level design, including ordering of PCBs for manufacture
- Ability to work with mechanical and system engineers to define and maintain interfaces to the whole system
- Embedded microprocessor firmware development, ideally ARM cortex family
- Knowledge of developing, testing and qualifying electronics for space and/or marine environments
- Ideally experience with CubeSat or larger class missions, developing and flying electronics.
- Able to communicate with teams working both in and out of the office;
- Able to communicate professionally with customers and external stakeholders;
- Resilient and adaptable to technical and non-technical roadblocks, as many are expected
We are looking for people who are willing to work hard, think logically, have high energy levels, respect others’ abilities and ultimately have an unending appetite to learn a large number of new skills quickly. Space Forge is committed to making super-powered teams of diverse individuals in all senses of the term, therefore women are strongly encouraged to apply and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
Salary expectation: £35,000 to £45,000 dependant upon experience
Beyond the salary, Space Forge has been set up to ensure that staff have everything they need to enjoy their work, as the executive team are strong believers in motivation and flexibility driving productivity. Therefore the current additional benefits are available to team members:
- Remote working available, working from home when not needed to be in the office, high quality remote working equipment will be provided;
- 29 days holiday (inclusive of 6 UK bank holidays per year);
- Up to five volunteering days per year;
- Opportunity to join employee share options plan;
- Working with a passionate, friendly and highly motivated team;
- Our inclusive culture, celebrating failure and success, fairness, respect and honesty;
- Helping to shape the electronics development processes at a rapidly growing start-up;
- Contributing to the company impact of helping to reduce CO2 emissions across the globe by deploying space made materials into more energy efficient hardware.
CLOSING DATE: This application will close on 8th April 2021.