Highview Power is a small but growing global organisation who are leading the way towards a cleaner, more efficient and secure energy future.
Our proprietary long duration, zero emissions energy storage system utilises cryogenic technology and surplus electricity; at times of low demand/low cost, to make liquid air which can be stored and later converted back into energy and released into the grid, at times of high demand/high cost.
This award-winning technology has been dubbed as “the missing link” to making Renewable Green Energy sources a more resilient, reliable and cost-effective option when compared with traditional fossil fuel alternatives.
Highview Power value their employees and are committed to creating a positive, inspiring and inclusive working environment.
About the Role
As the Lead Mechanical Development Engineer you will lead the Mechanical Development Engineering team and report to the Head of Product Development. The role will be based at our Trafalgar Square, London office with limited national travel.
The Lead Mechanical Development Engineer will focus on leading the mechanical design development of the Highview technology and its application to current and future storage projects, this will involve the management of workflows in a small team to complete objectives including development of preliminary plot plan and general arrangement drawings (2D/3D), development of equipment specification and vendor liaison, providing support and guidance to the project development team and playing a key role in the Engineering management team.
In return, Highview Power will provide the successful candidate with training and development opportunities, competitive salary and the chance to be a part of building a cleaner, greener, better future for everyone.
- Manage the mechanical development programme and workflow within small team
- Carryout and oversee the development of product mechanical designs and specifications including the development of:
- The production and development of process flow and system designs, including detailed system and equipment specifications
- Production of suitable design record documentation such as specifications, schematics, reports, graphs and charts
- Production of suitable 2D and 3D schematic engineering drawings
- Review and update where necessary Highview design standards and procedures in line with relevant engineering development and good practice execution
- The detailed assessment and analysis of processes for their relevance, performance and assessing the adequacy of engineering equipment
- Supporting the capture, documentation and protection of knowledge and IP that we are generating, which may include initial drafting of patents and other documents, and/or evaluation of competitors IP
- Identify potential mechanical design and technology improvements and assess their impact
- Collaborate closely with other discipline leads to develop product and project specific designs as well as review and assessment on development initiative
- Interact with external suppliers to facilitate integration of components, new technologies etc, into the product and facility design and investigate/review cost and performance benefits
- Key participation in HAZOP, HAZID and other industry standard project and design safety/quality processes
- Provide periodic updates to Head of Product Development reporting any concerns/issues that might arise which will have significant product or project impact
- Build strong internal and external working relationships
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of general tasks and duties, and that the job description may be subject to changes according to the requirements of the organisation. The job holder will be expected to complete all tasks within his/her level of skill and ability. The job holder will be expected to complete all tasks within his/her level of skill and ability.
- BEng Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Extensive mechanical engineering experience gained from the energy or process industries
- CAD modelling experience
- Experience of equipment data sheets and specifications
- Equipment layout and design experience
- Experience of report writing and preparing, comprehending and communicating engineering and technological documents
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Excel & Word)
- MEng Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Experience working on energy storage projects
- Experience of industrial gases or cryogenics
- 3D plant CAD modelling experience (CADWorx, PDMS)
- Process equipment specification experience
- Experience of PID/PFDs
- Experience of managing a team of engineers
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing together with the ability to work with people at all levels across the organisation
- Enthusiastic, proactive and motivated professional who can perform in a demanding and fast paced environment
- Flexible and adaptable professional who can operate independently with strong time management and organisation skills
- Comfortable working in a growth stage business where process improvement and change are key
- Genuine interest in the UK storage and energy market
- The chance to make a difference!
- Competitive salary
- Discretionary annual salary review
- Discretionary share option program
- Achievement Award incentive pilot
- Flexible working
- 25 days annual leave
- Auto enrolment pension following 3 month’s service
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work loan
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Professional membership fee reimbursement