Saietta is a well-established British R&D company on a mission to accelerate the market introduction of highly innovative, affordable, and reliable propulsion motors for a broad range of electric vehicles (EVs) from scooters to buses. The product is proven, and market pull is strong. Since 2016 Saietta has undertaken rigorous R&D and testing for an innovative, unique motor topology, with low-cost raw materials, designed for low-cost, automated assembly. Saietta is now evolving from a pure R&D company into one that also manufactures its own motors in a new European production plant.
This permanent role will be based at the company’s HQ in Upper Heyford, Bicester, Oxfordshire.
This is a very exciting and challenging engineering opportunity for a proven electrical machine design engineer, with strong electromagnetic design, ability to join a small but growing automotive technology company in Oxfordshire.
The company is involved with the design and development of axial flux motors and electric drivetrain systems for the electric vehicle market.
As lead motor development engineer you will:
- Work at systems level to technically understand customer driven projects and develop electric motor solutions to meet those needs.
- This will involve capturing requirements from customers, generation of technical specifications, leading design, integration and validation of electrical machines to fulfil customer applications.
- Advance ongoing research and development of new electric motor technologies
- Innovate and create new concepts and ideas through applied research and practical product and prototype development
Experience of the automotive domain is not the most crucial factor in this electrical machine design position. The company is looking for an experienced motor design engineer with a strong electromagnetic design, modelling and simulation background to aid in the design and architecture a new family of electric motor products.
Expected skills and experience:
- A relevant degree, Masters or PhD relating to electrical engineering and specifically to electrical machines / motor design and electromagnetic design and modelling
- Proven experience in the design, simulation, test, and validation of electric motors (use of tools such as Matlab & Simulink, MotorCAD, Ansys Maxwell typically)
- Strong electromagnetic modelling / simulation experience
- A good systems level understanding of electrical motor applications
- Able to specify and develop top level requirements for motor design applications for customer driven projects
- In depth knowledge of motor architectures (ideally axial flux but maybe radial flux, etc) and their control strategies.
- Practical hands-on approach to engineering (test, validation, and verification of prototypes) – able to work effectively in a small company environment
- Able to research, develop and verify new control strategies for axial flux electric motors
- Good commercial sense with the ability to work directly with customers
- Experience of the automotive sector or other safety critical domains would be preferred
This is a great opportunity for a creative, collaborative, passionate and ambitious electrical machine engineer to make their mark in the electric vehicle industry.