To apply for this job please visit puraffinity.teamtailor.com.
Puraffinity Ltd is a rapidly growing start-up company. We are driven and strive to solve the global problem of PFAS water pollution, working on several water treatment projects in parallel. We work collaboratively, have a good mixture of age, gender, ethnicity, native language and multidisciplinary backgrounds, and value the opinion of every team member. We are a hub of diversity and excellence, with space for individual team working styles.
The Lead Water Process Engineer will report to the Engineering Director and their role shall include: i) Provide engineering leadership to drive project completion and adherence to the company’s business plan and strategy in collaboration with other functions; ii) Plan and coordinate in-house testing of the company’s novel materials, analyse results and write reports; iii) Coordinate pilot trials and full scale systems, support the engineering and design delivery on a wide range of projects primarily producing and/or checking detailed process engineering deliverables and working with diverse external stakeholders to ensure successful implementation of systems iv) Support pre and post sales processes; and iv) Plan resource availability, and skills requirements to meet project goals.
The role is based in London, but will require both local and overseas travel.
- Provide leadership and technical direction for the deployment of Puraffinity’s product and engineering support for R&D and NPD.
- Plan tests to characterise Puraffinity products at bench scale and semi-pilot scale with in-house pilot rig, allocating the appropriate resources.
- Review results and technical reports, presentations and recommendations produced during testing of the product.
- Report results and recommendations to other company functions and clients as requested.
- Liaise with external analytical laboratories to improve quality of services
- Plan water testing activities according to projects’ needs and/or request
- Develop technical plans for scaling up lab verified solutions, through piloting to full scale solutions at client’s sites based on client requirements.
- Manage the water process requirements, including design deliverables, sub-contract management and quality of installations of end-to-end treatment processes to ensure reliable, sustainable and cost-effective systems are deployed depending on the scenario.
- Coordinate commissioning and operation of pilot plants and full-scale systems at clients’ sites, ensuring protocols are conducted according to the agreed schedules and budget.
- Plan resource availability, and skills requirements liaising with internal staff to secure multi-disciplined internal manpower to meet project goals.
- Adjust projects priorities and milestones based upon the customer’s changing needs to enable the project to be completed within budget, time constraints and standards
- Manage all technical project-related correspondence, schedules, plans, deliverables and documentation.
- Liaise with clients, subcontractors, suppliers, statutory bodies, and external design resources.
- Provide engineering leadership to drive project completion in collaboration with other functions.
- Formulate and direct the implementation of organisational engineering policies.
- Assist the development of business proposals, including full life-cycle costs for water treatment solutions.
- Support financial management of the engineering function budget.
Mentoring and HR
- Mentor junior engineers and junior technicians.
- Identify training needs and coordinate/appoint training plans.
Health and Safety
- Promote actively the continuous improvement of the company health & safety and environmental policies/procedures for engineering projects.
- MEng/Deng/PhD in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or MSc/Ph.D in environmental science. Chartered membership of a relevant professional institution would be considered an advantage but not essential.
- 7 years’ minimum experience working in the area of water treatment and water technologies, with at least 4 years’ experience in industrial water/wastewater treatment.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience of R&D within a commercial or industry setting.
- In-depth knowledge of water and wastewater treatment technologies, and of selection and design processes.
- Proven ability of client interfacing, preferably with tier 1 global companies.
- Experience in conducting treatment facility surveys and providing recommendations.
- Excellent understanding of technology R&D stages and scale-up engineering methodologies, from bench scale feasibility studies through to pilot plant and full-scale systems.
- Previous experience of managing a team would be strongly desirable.
- Experience in designing, commissioning and operating pilot plants, troubleshooting, analysing data, compiling reports and presenting results internally and externally.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office suite, engineering design/P&ID software (e.g. Visio), mass balance software and hydraulic modelling software.
- Able to work comfortably in a challenging, fast-paced environment and deliver results on time, within budget and to a high standard. Previous exposure to a start-up climate, particularly in commercialisation stage will be considered an advantage.
- Strong organisation and prioritisation skills; able to multi-task efficiently.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; capable of building strong relationships with diverse colleagues and clients.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented with a non-compromising approach for producing quality technical reports and presentations.
- Flexible and able to travel across the UK and overseas, as work demands.
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 40 hours per week
Benefits include: Shares in Puraffinity, Vitality Health Care, 25 days holiday + 8 public bank holidays, enhanced pension employer contribution scheme (up to 7.5%), generous training budget for personal development (£1,000 per year).