Onto is the all-inclusive electric car subscription changing the rules of the game for car ownership.
By 2030 the UK government has declared that all new cars must be electric. At Onto we believe that change can’t come soon enough and we want to give everyone the experience of driving an electric car whilst also doing the right thing for our planet.
Over the last 10 years, other industries such as media and food delivery have already shown that customers love the benefits of a subscription service. One industry that hasn’t moved forward so quickly is how people purchase cars. 2 out of 3 UK drivers want their next car to be electric, but it’s daunting. Last year out of the 2.3m cars sold in the UK, 90% of new cars in the UK were sold through finance, with a multi-year commitment, yet 70% of consumers decided against paying the final balloon payment to own the car at the end of the contract.
Drivers want more flexibility and the convenience of paying monthly but without long-term personal finance contracts or the hassle of arranging insurance, servicing, tax or repairs.
At Onto, for a flat monthly fee, customers get the latest electric cars with insurance, servicing, breakdown cover and free public charging at over 12,000 locations in the UK. There is no deposit and only a 1-month commitment. Hassle-free, emissions-free, and affordable driving.
How does it work? Simple. It’s a fully digital service. Sign up and we’ll deliver your car to your door within 72 hours. You just need to unlock your car with the Onto app and enjoy your drive!
Onto was formed in 2017 by co-founders Rob Jolly (CEO) and Dannan O’Meachair (VP People). Originally formed after Rob saw the challenge of converting people over to electric vehicles while working in the Corporate Strategy area of Jaguar Land Rover. After a few pivots in strategy and company name changes, Onto was born.
Our challenge now is to take Onto to a new level without losing what makes us special for our customers. We need to be able to deliver reliably on a large scale to mass-market customers, while still maintaining speed, ideation and a mindset of growth and accountability. This is a challenging combination, but one we’re embracing in the next stage of our journey. And that’s where you come in.
About the role
As our company grows, our need to support and develop our people grows with it.
We are looking to continue building our legal function to ensure Onto remains legally compliant, driving growth and minimising unwanted risk exposure.
We are looking for an experienced Legal Counsel to join our team. You will need to be able to communicate with and provide considered legal advice to all areas of the business. You will work on enhancing the legal risk management framework for the company, provide legal advice and support on strategic transactions and projects, and embed Legal as a business support function within Onto. As a start-up Onto’s working environment is fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous, it is important you are able to adapt your work style, work on multiple projects and just get stuck in!
This is a fantastic opportunity for somebody who has an interest in subscription-based services, automotive and ESG, and who is able to bring their knowledge and experience to a new environment and take on new ways of working.
What you will do
- Provide timely and proactive legal advice to all areas of the business
- Provide legal advice and support to the CEO and to the Board on strategic transactions and projects
- Manage engagement with external counsel to ensure effective delivery of legal support efficiently and within budget
- Review and draft key clauses in commercial agreements and/or security entered into by the company
- Build a legal risk management framework which documents key deliverables
- Advise on applicable compliance laws and regulations and reviewing operational policies and procedures
- Assist the Board with company secretarial & corporate governance matters
- Advise on any disputes with suppliers or customers and their handling outside formal litigation
- Provide legal templates to be used within the business
Who you are
- You will be an experienced legal professional with strong financial services and/or automotive background.
- You will be comfortable working on a variety of projects in a fast-paced environment
- You will be able to communicate at all levels of the business giving your time to both internal legal matters and strategic business transactions
- You will be a team player, a strong communicator and able to work in ambiguity
- You will be able to manage your own time, workload and deadlines
- Be confident in challenging and being challenged and giving and receiving feedback
You might also have
- Some experience working in a Startup environment
- Some experience working in a stand-alone role
As well as a competitive salary we provide a number of other benefits including:
- Onto car discount (via Salary Sacrifice) – become a customer and join the EV revolution
- Staff options scheme
- £200 Annual Learning budget
- Summer and Christmas Party
- Quarterly off-sites and team building
- Small milestone gifts (Birthdays, Life Milestones, Work Milestones)
- Reward and Recognition monthly and every quarter for employees
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Contribution to Personal Pension Scheme
- Flexibility to work from home
- Discounts on retail, travel and cinema tickets through perks at work
Salary: Based on experience