It matters what the most committed people choose to do with their lives.
SYSTEMIQ is building a place where mission driven individuals & teams can collaborate and co-create better systems for our future. This is our calling. We focus on the real-world outcomes that matter, not office hours or status.
What does SYSTEMIQ do?
SYSTEMIQ orchestrates system change in clean energy, circular material solutions and sustainable land use. This means re-imagining our industries, re-configuring the world of energy, and regenerating the ecosystems around us. By addressing systemic failures in these areas, SYSTEMIQ aims to unlock economic opportunities that benefit business, society, and the environment.
Since our start in 2016, we have grown to more than 200 people working across locations in Brazil, Germany, Indonesia, the Netherlands, and the UK.
Our work includes:
- Developing a Marshall Plan for the global ocean on behalf of 14 heads of state,
- Co-leading the Circular Economy Initiative for Germany (CEID), jointly with Acatech, the German National Academy of Science and Engineering,
- Developing a “System Change Compass” to help guide the EU’s Green Deal and COVID Recovery Package,
- Accelerating the growth of the world’s largest portfolio of regenerative tropical forest businesses through our Impact Accelerator, including our work with Partnership for Forests,
- Managing the Energy Transitions Commission in aiming to accelerate transitions to zero carbon energy systems,
- Building and scaling Indonesia’s most important frontline solution for stopping plastic pollution entering our precious oceans through Project STOP,
- Working with prominent global corporates and SMEs to turn into pioneers of system change in their respective industries
The kind of work you will do
As Legal Counsel, you will be responsible for assisting senior counsel on the day-to-day legal requirements of our growing and dynamic organisation. Some key responsibilities include:
- Having oversight for the email inbox for the legal team, and dealing with minor day-to-day queries as they come in from our global teams. This includes both internal and external queries from employees through to international governments and institutions,
- Providing practical and pragmatic legal advice when required,
- Overseeing reviews of terms and conditions for contracts and NDAs
- Reviewing internal governance documents
- Supporting legal counsel set-up internal processes and communication for the legal team, including internal rules of engagement
- Support senior counsel in writing and communication internal policies
The Mindset, Skills & Experience we are looking for
Ideal candidates will have demonstrated contribution to change and impact, e.g., in thought leadership/research, project management, client relations, or stakeholder management. You have a strong record in professional excellence, and/or relevant academic achievements, and/or demonstrable curiosity and understanding of systems change.
You have proven yourself in different contexts and are keen to work in a young, entrepreneurial company where you can get involved in a variety of work, shape the business, and make maximum impact. You are inspired by SYSTEMIQ’s mission and approach to system change.
Specifically, you ideally come with a combination of the following mindset, skills, and experience:
- Evidenced passion for SYSTEMIQ’s mission and the sustainability / environment / social enterprise space,
- 2+ years post-qualified experience in Law, ideally in corporate law with experience of working on environmental, infrastructure or renewable energy topics
- Previous experience of working independently on contracts
- Ideally experience of working on international projects or with international clients
- Intellectual curiosity and an interest to quickly dive into new topics,
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills,
- Skills and experience of relationship management on a senior level,
- Collaborative team player and can-do attitude,
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to identify opportunities and new initiatives and to turn them into reality,
- Resilience under stress and resourcefulness to deliver, and
- Alignment with SYSTEMIQ’s values (creativity, challenge, collaborate, change, care).
We are keen to receive applications from all parts of the community.
Please send your application via our website.
You must have the Right to Work in the location for the position you are applying for – SYSTEMIQ usually cannot provide sponsorship.