To apply for this job please visit es.catapult.org.uk.
Salary: Up to 50k + Benefits
Status: Permanent /Full-time strongly preferable (however can potentially be flexible)
The Energy Systems Catapult
Energy Systems Catapult was set up to accelerate the transformation of the UK’s energy system and ensure UK businesses and consumers capture the opportunities of clean growth. The Catapult is an independent, not-for-profit centre of excellence that bridges the gap between industry, government, academia and research. We take a whole-systems view of the energy sector, helping us to identify and address innovation priorities and market barriers, in order to decarbonise the energy system at the lowest cost.
During lockdown, we have been working remotely and as we begin to focus more on the future, we intend to embrace a new refreshing way to utilise our office in Birmingham City Centre . As a consequence we are developing a flexible approach to the workplace , which ensures we keep some of the benefits of home working whilst enabling the Catapult to operate efficiently, this hybrid way of working may result in the majority of us working from home for a good chunk of the time, merging the best bits of both office and home working.
The Energy Systems Catapult is looking for a Consultant to support the development of our work in local energy systems, including working with networks, local authorities and industry through advisory services, consultancy and local area energy planning (LAEP); as well as B2B onsite solutions for complex public and private sector sites.
For the next stage of decarbonisation in the UK, locality matters. Whether we are decarbonising heat in homes, increasing and managing EV uptake, creating flexibility or decarbonising industrial clusters, technological solutions will need to respond to the needs of a place and its people. Importantly, local energy systems also allow communities and companies to take some ownership of the decarbonisation agenda.
The importance of local energy systems is growing. Cities such as Bristol and Glasgow have set ambitious decarbonisation targets for themselves ahead of national targets, and now need to find a way to deliver on those targets. More and more companies – from ports and heavy industry to retail and housing – are striving to decarbonise their activities and need help to do so. Communities and companies are becoming increasingly engaged in decentralised energy solutions.
ESC is uniquely placed to create a market in LAEP and to work with public and private sector entities on pathfinder projects to decarbonise places and devise innovative local energy systems. We have unparalleled specialist energy expertise in systems integration, sophisticated modelling tools, and deep consumer insight capability, as well as market-leading experience on programmes such as Smart Systems & Heat, Modern Energy Partners, and the Energy Revolution Integration Service.
We are looking for an experienced consultant to play a key role in supporting the growth of our dynamic and successful team. You will work with the local energy systems team to win new work, lead engagement with clients and deliver ground-breaking projects.
Key Deliverables & Work Activities
Business Development & Strategy
- Supporting Senior Manager in the Energy Systems Catapult’s work in scaling Local & Site Energy Transition services within the Advisory team
- Working across internal stakeholders to secure support and gather input for Local & Site Energy Transition strategy, plans and propositions
- Gaining insight from customers to build on current offerings such as LAEP, LEAR, SLES and MEP to develop customer solutions on a range of issues associated with Local & Site Energy Transition
- Build strong collaborative working relationships with colleagues across the catapult
- Support and leading in generation of new customer leads
- Support in production of tender submissions and proposals collaborating with the wider Catapult team and third parties in development of such tenders/proposals
- Representing the Energy Systems Catapults externally, including leading and supporting engagement and activity with key external stakeholders
- Structured and robust Account Management for named accounts to demonstrate Account Management best practise and develop and grow relationships with third parties
Co-ordination & Delivery
- Lead on scoping and definition of workplans and communication with both internal and external stakeholders to inform definition of requirements and understanding of desired customer outputs
- Leading the development and delivery of project outputs to internal and external stakeholders including report writing and quality assurance
- Project management of a range of internal and external projects including management of internal and external resources and ensuring delivery to time, quality and budget
- Supporting Senior Manager in terms of organisation / planning/ reporting
- Contribute to maintaining resource plans and opportunity pipeline for projects and reporting
- Support continued development of outputs and report writing to ensure it meets customer requirements e.g. template development, methodologies
- Provide effective support in helping different stakeholders, internal and external, scope out projects to develop clear definition and benefits and ensure outputs are clearly communicated and meet the customer requirements.
- Work across ESC drawing on multiple capabilities to deliver project outputs that are integrated and with a clear easy to follow customer storyline
- Manage relationships with third parties to ensure scope, deliverables, benefits, timescales, budget and quality criteria are agreed and managed applying sound judgement and commercial awareness
What credentials are we ideally looking for ?
Qualifications and Experience:
- A deep understanding and established track record within the energy sector, and/or energy master planning track record
- Understanding of local energy systems, built environment and heat decarbonisation
- Strong technical, commercial and project development, delivery and management ability
- Experience of working with and leading government, public and private sector organisations to develop, scope and deliver energy related projects and programmes
- Ability to produce high quality outputs, reports and thought leadership
- Ability to translate and interpret complexity into a digestible form for non-experts
- Degree in a relevant area
- Excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills
- Self-driven and motivated
- Able to work collaboratively with, steer and influence colleagues and key external stakeholders
- Challenges constructively and communicate effectively and clearly on complex issues with a focus on the problem and outcome
- Is responsive and adaptive to the needs of the business
Would you like to Apply?
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 28th July 2021
Please note that at this time we are unable to provide UK visa sponsorship.
Energy Systems Catapult undertakes innovative and exciting work that will help shape the future of energy, with this in mind we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible, as we do reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
(Strictly No Agencies).
“We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.”
Purpose of the Privacy Statement
The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to make you aware of how and why your personal data will be used during any recruitment process and how long it will usually be retained for. This statement provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
In the recruitment process we, Energy Systems Catapult Limited, are a “Data Controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you.
The Energy Systems Catapult Limited is located at Cannon House 7th Floor, 18 Priory Queensway, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, B4 6BS and can be contacted by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Protection Principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way;
Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes;
Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes;
Accurate and kept up to date;
Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about;
The Kind of Personal Data we hold about you
In connection with your application for work with us, we will collect, store and use the following categories of personal information about you:
The information you have provided in our application form;
The information you have provided to us in your curriculum vitae and covering letter;
Any information you provide to us during an interview;
Any other information provided by you as part of the recruitment process.
We may ask you for information to allow us to monitor our equal opportunities and diversity performance in recruitment. Also, if you inform us that you have a disability we will keep this information on record to allow us to make reasonable adjustments as needed.
How we will use your Personal Data
We will use the personal data we collect about you to:
Assess your skills, qualifications and suitability for the role;
Carry out background and reference checks, where applicable;
Communicate with you about the recruitment process;
Keep records relating to our hiring processes;
Manage recruitment related activities, which includes setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes;
Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
We will also use information about any disability you may have to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process.
Such processing is lawful as it is necessary for our legitimate purpose in seeking to attract, evaluate, and select applicants for employment.
Data Sharing: Greenhouse Software Inc
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by us to help manage our recruitment and hiring process. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. This transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the Privacy Shield so as to comply with EU law.
We will retain your personal data for a period of 12 months after we have communicated to you our decision about whether to appoint you to the role. We retain your personal data for that period so that we can show, in the event of a legal claim, that we have not discriminated against candidates on prohibited grounds and that we have conducted the recruitment exercise in a fair and transparent way. After this period, we will securely destroy your personal data in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
Your Rights in Connection with Personal Data
Under the GDPR you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted or transferred.
When you apply for this role, and tick the confirmation box below, you have provided consent for us to process your personal data for the purpose of the recruitment exercise. You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing for that purpose at any time. Withdrawal of consent to process your data may mean that we cannot continue with your application to us.
If you wish to exercise the rights granted to you under GDPR please contact: email@example.com.