To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
A position is available in the HTS magnet team for a Magnet Engineer with a materials property’s measurement bias. Reporting to the Senior HTS Magnet Development Engineer the successful candidate will be responsible for performing a wide variety of experiments in the laboratory to participate in the pioneering work taking place on HTS magnet development at Tokamak Energy. The candidate will also have a methodical, analytic mindset, able to design and carry out complex experiments and analyse the results in rigorous detail. Organised, self-driven and able to work to defined timescales. Have excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team of engineers designing new and complex devices.
- Sample preparation and making measurements on superconducting tapes, joints and assemblies under cryogenic conditions, demonstrating key magnet concepts at small scale.
- Testing novel high field HTS magnets.
- Design and use of experimental test equipment
- Data analysis using numerical software packages,
- Interpreting test results and producing clear written reports.
- Liaising with international research facilities and wire suppliers to assist in the procurement and characterisation of very large HTS tape quantities for upcoming magnets.
- Maintaining records and inventories of HTS tapes for quality control purposes.
- A BSc/BEng/MSc/Meng in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
- Experience of performing practical work in a laboratory or engineering research environment.
- Experience of working in a team of scientists and/or engineers.
- Familiarity with standard electrical test equipment such as power supplies and voltmeters.
- A good understanding of the principles of electricity and magnetism is essential. Familiarity with superconductivity is desirable but not essential.
- An aptitude for programming and data analysis using software such as Matlab, Microsoft Excel, Python, etc.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.