Arcola Energy is one of the fastest growing hydrogen technology companies in the UK, working with some of the most progressive local authorities, fleet operators and OEMs to meet their zero-emission targets. Arcola has more than 10-years of experience in delivering solutions that address the deployment gap between rapidly evolving low-carbon technologies and production-ready solutions.
Position: Reports to: Location:
Mechanical Design Engineer, Automotive
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Dundee/flexible – the job holder will support programmes in Scotland, England and Europe as well as other international opportunities. Arcola Energy are currently working from home.
The core activity is mechanical design – from concept through to production components – of fuel cell and battery systems for automotive, off-highway, and stationary applications.
You will be working in Arcola’s mechanical design team and be responsible for packaging, detailed design, release, and integration of hydrogen fuel cell and electric powertrain components and subsystems. This includes battery systems (from modules to whole packs), structural framing, pipework and harness routing, heating and cooling systems, ensuring that designs meet cost, quality, durability, performance and compliance requirements.
- ● Creating new designs from the concept stage into production.
- ● Modifying existing designs to suit new requirements.
- ● Carrying out 3D design studies to assess specification feasibility.
- ● Creating components and assemblies in 3D CAD.
- ● Lead production releases including updating bill of materials and delivering 2D engineering drawings.
- ● Work with Systems, Electrical and Software teams to support effective whole system design
- ● Work with Quality and Compliance Manager to ensure designs meet codes, standards and regulations.
- ● Work with suppliers to ensure designs are feasible and cost effective
- ● Supporting other Arcola Energy activities where required.
- ● The position is based from home with frequent site visits to Arcola facilities in Scotland and customer
sites/test facilities as required.
Experience and competencies:
- ● Degree in mechanical engineering or other related engineering discipline.
- ● Experience in design of mechanical systems (machined, fabricated and cast components) including
application of GD&T and knowledge of BS8888.
- ● Experienced in using Solidworks or similar CAD software for solid and surface design, pipe routing and
- ● Good knowledge of production methods and tooling.
- ● Desirable: Understanding of electrical systems (batteries, electric machines, inverters, etc).
- ● Desirable: Experience using a Product Data Management system such as Solidworks PDM
- ● Desirable: Experience with performing Finite Element Analysis
- ● Desirable: Understanding of general automotive design practices/methods and regulations
- ● Desirable: Willingness to own design of sub-systems
● Willingness to work cross-functionally in the Arcola team
What you’ll receive in return:
- ● Competitive salary, based on experience
- ● Support towards CEng accreditation and your membership fees paid for IET/MechE
- ● Flexible work arrangements – we are currently working from home
- ● An opportunity to directly impact projects – from concept through to production
- ● Free tickets to the Arcola Theatre (subject to availability), and Arcola staff discount on food and drink in
Arcola Energy is a privately owned company and offers a truly independent view of one of the fastest growing industries that will lead the road to zero emissions. Our independence also allows us to focus on what we believe in – products which make a positive contribution to society, delivered with total commitment to quality, safety and compliance.
We deliver solutions that significantly improve environmental performance compared to incumbent technologies, contributing to the development of cleaner, greener, more secure, more democratic energy and transport systems, enabling healthier living for everyone.
Arcola Energy is committed to fostering a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future team, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, email email@example.com