Do you want a rubbish job?
At Recycleye, we’re on a mission to build the recycling industry of the 21st century. One of the world’s biggest challenges is waste – how do you sort it, store it, and reuse it? Recycleye’s proprietary waste-sorting technology solves this issue for waste handlers and accelerates the world’s transition to a circular economy.
We’re looking for a Mechanical or Mechatronics engineer to join us as a key hire on our journey to developing the recycling infrastructure of the future. You’ll have the opportunity to play an integral role in building a world-changing product while developing your own skills and qualifications.
Currently, the sorting of waste materials is done by manual workers. This is expensive, slow, and inaccurate. It’s estimated that the average materials recovery facility spends 60% of their operating costs on these manual workers. To date, AI and robotics have not been advanced enough to reduce this cost and make recycling cheaper, more efficient, and more widespread.
At Recycleye we’ve taken this into our own hands and decided to create the future. Recycleye’s ground-breaking computer vision technology allows the automatic sorting of waste while our robotic picker system sorts it accordingly. Combined, they replicate the capabilities of the human brain, eye, and arm. We predict our technology will save the average materials recovery facility over $4 million.
Our technology stands to change the way recycling is done and we have received significant traction. We have a technology development partnership with Microsoft, are members of the world-leading Plug and Play accelerator, and have received grants/funding from the UK government and a number of high-profile VC funds.
The Hardware Team is looking for a junior/intermediate mechanical engineer to work on prototyping as well as scaling of our products. You will help model robotic solutions for our clients and every so often even go to help install them to understand better the whole process!
- Mechanical design (assembly, drawings to suppliers, FEA, etc.): we always need to make our product more indestructible!
- Project support: help to ensure that projects are led and delivered effectively and at a very high pace.
- Perform R&D to improve the reliabilities of our systems: test rig design, testing procedure, electronics to do so (arduino or raspberry pi prototyping boards available)
- Perform ad-hoc fabrication and modifications of some of our standard products for specific use cases.
- Brainstorm ideas with the Recycleye Team on how to make the client happier and help the whole company scale up
- On top of all of this? We’ve recently moved into a huge arch near Waterloo and need help designing it all… and most likely will be making some of the changes to the arch ourselves! If these things excite you then we want to hear from you!
You’re a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about the green revolution;
- Are ambitious and want to change the world;
- Have a growth mindset and are willing to learn and adapt;
- Are excited about being an early-stage hire in a start-up.
- Degree in Mechanical/Mechatronics/Electrical engineering
- Experience dealing with product development (supply change issues etc).
- Hands-on attitude: you are happy to go and sort out problems at the recycling centre if need be or to assemble one of our product and do some troubleshooting when necessary.
- A keen interest in solving the problems within the recycling industry.
- London-based role so you need to be based in London.
Good to have
- Experience with power tools and how to use them safely. Welding and metal fabrication experience a big plus.
- Experience installaling industrial equipment in situ.
- Experience in automation/robotics.
- Be part of a small structure and get your voice heard.
- Ownership: you’ll own a piece of our company through our share option scheme;
- Unlimited holiday.
- Flexible working hours.
- A big workshop in central London.
- Extensive upskilling opportunities.