To apply for this job please visit www.ethicalproperty.co.uk.
The Ethical Property Company is a great place to work, placing equal value on the social, environmental and financial outputs it generates and supporting an inspiring range of charities, social enterprises and small local organisations in the process.
As an ethical employer we aim to create a positive working environment, pay salaries which are fair and appropriate, and promote equality of opportunity.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to join the Board of a pioneering social business. We have become the largest provider of workspace for changemakers in the UK. Challenging the way property works; with our triple bottom line, affordable rents and supportive staff we have proven that when we all work together, we can make the change.
About the Ethical Property Company
Formed in 1998 and with the investment of over 1,350 shareholders we own / manage 21 centres across England, Scotland and Wales and support over 1,000 changemaking organisations. Our portfolio is valued in excess of £63 million and our spaces are as diverse as our tenants. We currently have centres in Brighton, London, Oxford, Cardiff, Bath, Bristol, Manchester and Sheffield.
Our tenants work across a wide-range of fields from campaign groups through to farmers markets selling local produce. The results of our 2019 tenants survey showed that 89% thought we offered good value, and over 97% stated that our spaces represented their values.
We work to a triple bottom line which is set out in our Quintessentials, which places equal importance on our financial, environmental and social performance, with all three elements being externally audited. Whilst being focused on the UK we have also helped establish a family of sister companies in Belgium, France and Australia, as well as assisting with the development of Good Spaces in the USA.
Further information can be found at www.ethicalproperty.co.uk and in our Annual Report.
We are seeking two new non-executive directors to join the board. We are looking for innovative and creative individuals with a proven strategic profile in the commercial or voluntary sectors who can help set the direction of the company and balance the interests of tenants, shareholders and staff.
We are looking for commercial acumen and non-executive directors who are values-led and have the team working qualities that will encourage good team dynamics, decision making and positive outcomes
The board currently consists of eight members with significant property, finance and governance experience.
We are seeking candidates who can demonstrate a mix from the following:
• Extensive experience within the commercial property sectors.
• Experience of retail investment raising (e.g. general public as opposed to institutions or venture capital), and ideally also experience of investment in an off-market company.
• Have a proven track record in entrepreneurship and innovation.
• Experience of developing a values-driven organisation, for example, a social enterprise, charity, NGO or in public policy.
We are also interested in candidates who possess one or more of the following:
• Holds either a recognised accountancy qualification or is a RICS professional (this qualification is preferable although not essential).
• Preferably brings senior level experience within a PLC or listed company environment, with understanding of good governance and the ability to fulfil the role of a non-executive of a company with many shareholders.
• Ideally someone with experience of undertaking chair roles, at board or committee level. We are seeking two candidates, so do not expect one candidate to be able to demonstrate all of the above but we are looking for a valuable mix that will complement and positively contribute to our board
We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds, who will bring new perspectives, fresh ideas and reflect the communities we aim to serve. Although we are looking for experience, we are open to candidates with commercial acumen that would bring new thinking, entrepreneurship and an innovative perspective that our company will always thrive on.
This role comes with a professional fee of £5,556 a year. We will also reimburse you for all reasonable expenses incurred in performing the duties of your office.
The fee is based on an assumption of around 12 days worked in a year. You will be expected to attend six Board meetings and one strategy day each year. You may also be a member of one or more subcommittees and be called upon to provide further support in specialist areas.
Directors must retire by rotation but can, with the agreement of the Board, re-stand for election at the company’s AGM.
If you would like to discuss the position with the chair of the board please contact Juliana.email@example.com
Please send your C.V. and a statement of suitability summarising your skills and experience, why you are interested in becoming a Non-Executive Director of Ethical Property and why you are suitable for the role to Juliana Otalora-HR Manager
Interviews will be held in TBC and the two successful candidates will attend our board meeting on TBC. The existing Directors are able to appoint new directors until the next AGM, when they must be voted in for a two- or three-year term.