The Snapshot – The successful candidate will be the company’s first dedicated Director of Operations. They will be responsible for overseeing the entirety of the Operation function and must be an extremely competent and world class leader with at least 10+ years in chilled food operations. They must have also led a team of highly dynamic, fast paced individuals in their most recent role.
What is THIS?
THIS is a high-growth, VC-backed start-up producing plant-based food. Meat-alternatives, to be exact. In fact if we’re being reallllly exact – our products are at the leading-edge of the plant-based sector in terms of taste, texture and appearance. Here’s our insta, for a quick stalk – https://www.instagram.com/this.uk
It’s worth mentioning that since our launch in June 2019, the company has experienced extremely significant growth in revenue – around 35% compound every month we’ve been trading.
Why are we doing THIS?
We’re Andy and Pete – co-founders of THIS. Our last job entailed selling tonnes (literally tonnes) of meat. Then we felt bad. Also, we felt like meat-alternatives weren’t realllllly for people who love the taste of meat. We felt like they were for people who like sandals and socks. So we’ve basically ended up making THIS for ourselves, but we’d love other meat-lovers to nom nom it too. THIS is a game-changer.
At our core, we believe:
- Stereotypes around plant-based food need to be bulldozed
- Guilt-trips don’t make people hungry
- Plant-based food should mean zero-compromise
What will you be doing?
- Building out the company’s 3rd party capabilities, including newly developed manufacturing techniques, and leading the way in delivering solutions to the complexities that entail
- Overseeing the entire Operations function to ensure efficiency from all angles including supply chain and supply sourcing
- Develop a world-class operations system that is suitable for rapid growth with the ability to overcome near term problems to achieve our goals
- Taking on numerous external stakeholder relationships
- Be an integral part of the senior leadership team and take on large, high-pressure projects to help create more efficient ways of working and enable continued growth
- Be responsible for helping deliver on the company’s long term vision for growth
- Affecting real change from day 1, this is a huge opportunity for someone to make a massive change within a hyper-growth company.
- Developing effective cost management principles
- Manage the delivery of all senior-level operational projects whilst creating an environment for autonomous growth
- Working collaboratively with all different functions within THIS
What are we looking for?
- Someone with at least 10+ years of FMCG Operations experience, the majority of which spent at senior management level
- Proven experience of working in complex international supply chains involving multiple SKUs, temperature profiles and manufacturing partners.
- First-hand experience of food production, particularly around creating new processes
- A HUSTLER. This person will need to get sh*t done in a major way and knock through what will seem like brick walls.
- Previous management experience; we’d love to meet someone who likes to hire and mentor great people. We’re looking for a real leader who will coach the team as well as support.
- Positive attitude, proactivity, and a tenacious character: things in our business can change very quickly, so being comfortable reacting quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges is super important too!
- Someone with a strong analytical, and practical problem-solving mindset is an absolute must.
- Ability and interest to work cross-functionally, we’re a small team and believe that strong collaboration will take us further than working in silos
- Honesty & integrity – a conviction in your work to improve your small patch of the world for yourself and for others
- We don’t take ourselves seriously and we laugh at the silliest, stupid things… So you don’t need to be a stand-up comedian but having a sense of humour is defo necessary.
- Team player: we’re colleagues but also mates (unless we’re playing table tennis)
As a start-up, everyone who joins us needs to be ready to roll up their sleeves and carry out tasks away from their core focus because – they just need to get done. That could be helping to prepare samples for a customer meeting, trying new products and giving tasting notes, packing cold bags into boxes or a lot of other random stuff that comes up. They’re not always the most glamorous jobs, but from the founders down, the whole team gets involved!
From our side
- A competitive salary that fairly recognises your experience and potential.
- We are offering share-options in our company to everyone who joins us at this early stage
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank-holidays – we care about our team’s wellbeing, so we make sure you have time to fully switch off, rest, and recharge.
- Flexible working hours – We’re not a 9-5. No-one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- You’ll have a £500 wellness allowance every year (pro-rata) to spend on things that will improve your physical and mental wellness like gym memberships, fitness classes, counselling, dentistry, physio, meditation apps and more.
- To further support mental health, the company pays for Spill, a mental health wellness provider that gives everyone access to qualified therapists and mental health resources.
- A values-led working environment that encourages putting people first, honesty, curiosity and leadership.
The chance to have a meaningful impact
As a small, albeit growing, team you’ll be exposed to – and have the chance to contribute towards – challenges and projects at all levels and in all areas of the business. A good idea is a good idea, regardless of the experience or seniority of who came up with it.
We’d love to hear from you, so please apply with your CV and a video cover “letter” (doesn’t have to be snazzy, just 1-3 mins with a quick overview of your background and why you think you could fit this role).