This is an opportunity to join Europe’s leading Tech for Good, a unique company combining a high growth tech startup culture with making life-changing impact.
As an Operations Lead, you’re supporting our brilliant team of caseworkers (known as Operation Executives) and the amazing people referred to Beam (known as Members) on their remarkable journey out of homelessness and into stable work.
What matters to us
- People: We want to work with ambitious, friendly and empathetic individuals who excel at building strong, respectful working relationships.
- Making an impact: We set and pursue challenging targets in a fast-paced startup environment that puts huge value on idea generation and transparency.
- Growth mindset: A hunger to learn in a startup founded by someone that’s scaled a business to millions of users, and backed by the world’s best investors.
- Passion for tech: We love getting a little nerdy with the latest tools and apps and working in a lean and data-driven way.
1) Team management
- Supporting Operations Executives to:
- Help people start jobs in a way that balances working empathetically with being solution-focused and outcomes-driven
- Manage safety and risk issues, including safely risk assessing all our members looking for work
- Manage a large caseload of people using Beam with confidence and clear boundary-setting
- Working directly and supporting Beamers to rapidly innovate our operational model
- Interviewing prospective Operations Executives and training and onboarding new starters
- Inspiring the Operations Executive team and ensuring they are aligned on the team’s objectives for each quarter/year
- Managing and facilitating weekly operations meetings, bringing any pain points/troubleshooting/improvements
- Account managing employers who hire from our talent pool – including building strong relationships and iterating processes
2) People Management
- Supporting individuals to do their jobs effectively and efficiently. This can include:
- Mentoring or coaching
- Supporting people’s wellbeing in an emotionally challenging role
- Develop people’s strengths and performance management
- Run ‘transparency sessions’ with individuals and ensure there is a feedback loop
- Support Beamers with their future development and career progression
- Mapping out strategies and targets on a quarterly basis for the Operations Executive team
- Generating ideas and processes that iterate our operational model to ever-increasing scale
- Feed in on the development of our products and testing prototypes
- Data analysis and reporting
4) Operational day to day
- As part of getting to know what we do, you will be expected to support a few members who use the Beam service
- 3-6 years high-quality operational experience, ideally in a high-growth start-up or social enterprise
- Management experience
- Entrepreneurial, get things done attitude, you’ll thrive under pressure and in fast-paced environments
- Passion for innovation and social impact
- Great multi-tasker and highly detail-orientated and risk-aware
- Highly adaptable and excited to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Effective communicator, active listener, and the ability to prioritise and delegate tasks
- Committed to promoting equality of opportunity in London – and far beyond
Nice to haves
- Experience working with vulnerable individuals (don’t worry, everyone who joins is enrolled on a thorough training programme!)
- Advanced Excel or SQL
- Strong relationships with senior HR contacts at companies who may hire from Beam
Compensation & Perks
- Highly competitive startup salary of £35-50k – we’re open to hearing from a broad range of experiences
- Additional EMI-qualifying share options in Beam
- MacBook Air or PC
- Work phone
- £500 annual “Be Amazing” budget to spend on anything that helps you achieve your potential
- £80 monthly counselling budget
- Cycle Scheme
- Plenty of Beam merch and books aplenty
- Perkbox perks – discounts and freebies at hundreds of top brands
- Hybrid office – significant flexibility plus the team bonding and fun of a physical space
- Fortnightly socials in everything from candle and pizza making to treasure hunts
- Annual team retreat (once government rules allow)
- Unlimited holiday, with a minimum of 20 days per year
- ‘Beam Team Talks’ – monthly talks to the team from pre-eminent figures in tech and other sectors. Speakers include the cofounders of JustGiving, Booking.com, Starling and Shazam.
Applications for the role are considered on a rolling basis and there is no fixed start date.