Apolitical is a peer-to-peer learning and intelligence platform for government. Our mission is to make government great for citizens everywhere. We equip policymakers with the knowledge, skills and community they need to solve the world’s hardest challenges from the climate and refugee crises to cybersecurity and the future of jobs. Our platform is used by more than 90,000+ policymakers in 170+ countries ranging from mayors, ministers and heads of state to millennials pioneering digital innovations. Disrupt100 said, “This new approach to solving common problems could potentially impact everyone on the planet.”
We are seeking a Partnerships Manager to join our Partnerships team that leads on sales and delivery to our enterprise clients. Our current enterprise revenue comes from two kinds of learning products – (a) subscriptions for a learning experience with international cohorts of public servants and (b) bespoke learning experience created for specific audiences and needs. Our clients include governments, innovative foundations and other organisations who partner with us to create inspiring and engaging learning offerings – both online and in-person. Our partners include the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office, Employment and Social Development Canada, Oxford and Cambridge Universities, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and UNICEF.
The Partnerships Manager role is a full-time role and ideally based in London/UK. If you are currently based out of the UK, then you must have a right to work in the UK and you must be able to work remotely as per UK working hours.
We are seeking a Partnerships Manager to lead and deliver on our commitments to existing enterprise clients. Your manager will be the CCO leading on delivery to enterprise clients. You will also support the COO leading on sales and lead generation. Your roles and responsibilities include the following:
High-touch account management (70% of your time):
- Strategically plan, manage and execute the projects with our enterprise clients. You will figure out how best to sequence and deliver on (often large) projects that have multiple components and challenging outcomes.
- Ringlead and coordinate the work done across the company for enterprise clients. You will be coordinating with various teams delivering components of a project for enterprise clients. You will need to troubleshoot, manage competing priorities and strive to deliver greater impact for each project. For some clients, you may need to pilot initiatives in a way that is good for the company.
- Manage relationships with enterprise clients to achieve high satisfaction scores. Amongst other things, you will need to communicate the impact we are achieving for our clients, secure their agreement on how to carry out the work and drive our agendas forward, often with their involvement.
- Roll up your sleeves and get involved in delivering for clients. We might be doing something novel for a client. In this case, it is likely that you, with the support of colleagues will have to design the intervention and do it yourself – from carrying out a bit of research, or coming up with a new learning intervention.
Contributing to the wider objectives of the Partnership team and the company (30% of your time):
- Owning expertise and/or contributing to critical success factors for the Partnerships team. As a client facing team, we strive to best in class standards for account management and to give our clients the best possible experience. We also strive to a rigorous analysis of metrics, data and insights in a way that provides a compelling narrative of the impact of our work internally and externally. You will be expected to build expertise in one of these areas and contribute pro-actively to the other.
- Supporting the CCO in leveraging existing client relationships. You will support the process of reselling or upselling to build recurring revenue. You will also strive to find pragmatic, high-return and win-win opportunities for the clients and our company. You will always have an eye on how our experience with partnership projects can inform the rest of the company and vice versa.
- Supporting the COO in Market Building and Lead Cultivation. You will support the COO in the writing and pitching of proposals. You will always have an eye on insights from current client experience which could be valuable for other sales conversations. You will also support in the identification of new partnership leads.
As the team evolves its revenue strategy and breaks into new markets, there will be other opportunities for you to open new leads and partnerships, and represent Apolitical more widely.
- 3-5 years experience in relevant professional roles preferred. However, we are open to more experienced professionals who want the hands-on experience of building and growing with a company or a less experienced person who is eager to work on a steep learning curve.
- Native-level spoken and written English – concise, persuasive writing and delicate client handling is critical to this role
- Plus: Demonstrated experience or knowledge of government and/or foundations.
- Self-aware, agile and adaptable. Our company moves quickly and you will constantly be doing new things. You will also need to respond to different partners’ expectations, needs and communication styles. Hence, you will need to be self-aware, agile, adaptable, and quick to respond to feedback.
- Sound judgement and high emotional intelligence. You have a good instinct for how to respond to situations and handle people – internally and externally – to achieve the best outcome.
- Effective listener and persuasive communicator, both written and verbal. You are able to listen to and understand the client’s aims, pain-points and needs. You can adapt what you say based on who you are talking to, drawing on the most relevant examples and opportunities to achieve your objectives.
- Highly organised, allowing you to keep track of details. You must be able to handle multiple customers, deadlines and priorities, and not drop the small things that might matter to clients.
- Smart problem-solver. You can break down problems and projects into smaller parts to make them actionable or more understandable. With this knowledge, you can come up with pragmatic ways to achieve your objectives.
- Great at balancing quality with speed. You will be stretched in this role – that is the way startups are! You need to enjoy operating at high speed, while not compromising the quality of your work. You’ll need to apply careful judgement in where you spend your time and ask the right questions so you continuously improve.
Indicative Salary: £40-45k depending on experience
The benefits: (In addition to working with smart, kind people on one of the most important challenges of our time)
- Stock options: Our employee options plan gives you a stake in our vision.
- Flexibility: Everyone works differently. Whether it’s early mornings, late nights or a day at home, we support what gives you energy and makes you effective.
- Holidays: Unlimited holidays, trusting people to take what they need when they need. As a restorative reboot, we give everyone on the team the last Friday of every month off.
- Office: Based in the beautiful Public Hall, in the heart of Westminster and overlooking the River Thames. Our Berlin office is in the fun Mitte district.
- Maternity, paternity, and adoption leave: Generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Development: Learning and development budgets for books, conferences and courses. We also offer learning days.
- Socials: Monthly board game evening (yes, we are a bit wonky) plus a range of other fun team events. We’ve taken these online since lockdown!
- Knowledge-sharing: Every Friday we have talks in the office — from team members sharing their work and from their public service members, often when visiting London from around the world.
- Wellbeing: We have registered for the UK’s Cycle-to-Work scheme, so you can buy a bike and cycling accessories tax-free. We have a fresh fruit bowl in the office. We have a subscription for all employees to HeathAssured, a leading workplace wellbeing provider.
- Library: We have a constantly growing library, to which every team member contributes their favourite book. There’s also a bigger library in Public Hall