Plant Genome Engineer for Phytoform Labs Ltd
At Phytoform Labs Ltd we believe in sustainable agriculture and nutrition for all. We see a lack of innovation in the agricultural space around the crops themselves, so we are building a multidisciplinary team to help rectify the situation. We have exciting growth plans over the next year and we are looking for a talented plant scientist to support our R&D pipeline and genome engineering projects. We are based at the world leading plant science institute Rothamsted Research just outside of London, United Kingdom.
If you are looking for a new challenge and like working with a multidisciplinary team then this job is for you. We are looking for a motivated core team member to work on Phytoform Labs crop development pipeline with focus on alternative protein crops. You will quantify and analyse multiple aspects of legume genetics as well as breed new crops with footprint-free genome editing. If you have previously been part of an academic or industry team, but now would like to work in a fast-paced start-up environment and develop a project from the ground up then you would be a great fit.
- Lead the alt-protein crop improvement program
- Design and validate in vitro and in vivo CRISPR-experiments for legumes
- Work with legume plant tissue culture including protoplast regeneration
- Use footprint-free genome editing to develop new crop varieties
- Phenotype and validate new genome edited traits in crops
- PhD in Plant Biology or a related subject
- Experience with CRISPR genome editing in plants (non-model crops)
- Strong record of molecular biology-based problem solving & application driven research
- Ability to develop new protocols including tissue culture protocols
- Experience working in a sterile environment.
- Self-driven with effective time management and multitasking capability.
- Excellent written and oral communication & ability to work well in a team
- Excellent documentation, IT & numerical skills
- Ability to work in a results-driven environment
You get extra points if you:
- Have experience with CRISPR-driven genome editing in legumes
- Experience with footprint-free RNP or plasmid-based protoplast transfection and genome editing
- Have previously worked with protoplasts in plant transformation or gene editing
- Have some project management experience
- Proficiently use a Laboratory Information Management System
- Have previous experience in start-ups
- Love plants as much as we do
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Share of value you create through Employee Stock Option Plan
- The chance to work with a multidisciplinary team changing agriculture
- A flexible working arrangement: early or late working with core hours of 10am-4pm
- Occasional working from home
- Access to a gym & tennis courts
- Access to the cycle to work scheme