To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
The role is the management of the design, research and development (R&D) and procurement activities of Microwave and RF diagnostics and perform experimental data analysis. To assist in the design and maintenance of other plasma diagnostic systems. Design, operation and exploration of Microwave instrumentation operating in a wide range of RF frequencies in the 40-250 GHz range. The candidate will assure that the electronic design is completed to meet the functional, safety and quality requirements as specified by the project.
- Take responsibility for the R&D, specification, procurement, installation, commission and maintenance of assigned diagnostic systems
- Manage the contracts and resources allocated to microwave diagnostics
- Assist in the design and interfaces to data acquisition and other systems
- Work in close collaboration with the design office through the design phase, leading jointly to procurement and installation
- May be requested to be part of any of the project’s teams dealing with any of the activities above and perform other duties upon management requests
- Interacts regularly with others in the Diagnostics areas
- Acts as a point of contact for RF and Microwave plasma diagnostics
- Take responsibility for regular calibration and updates of the calibration data for other systems such as data acquision and plasma control systems
- Perform analysis of the experimental data delivered by diagnostics
Essential selection criteria
- At least a masters/PhD degree in Physics
- Knowledge of Microwave diagnostics on high temperature plasma devices is essential
- Experience in design and development in experimental physics
- Experience in design, maintenance and calibration of microwave instrumentation
- Experience in analysis of plasma diagnostics data
- Ability to work on own initiative or in a team and multi-cultural environment
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Programming in Python, MatLab, LabVIEW C++ or similar
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience in using microwave design software
- Experience in high power experimental systems would be advantageous
- Experience in fusion related technologies such as Ultra High Vacuum (UHV) would be advantageous
- Good communication skills
- MS office (word, excel, powerpoint, outlook)
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.