To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Tokamak Energy are seeking talented and innovative individuals that are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power to join their physics team and help make limitless fusion energy a reality.
Tokamak Energy’s mission is to transform the way the world generates power by creating a clean, safe and sustainable source of energy for current and future generations. Our innovative approach to fusion is based on two emerging technologies: spherical tokamaks (STs) and high-field magnets made from high temperature superconductors (HTS).
Combining these two technologies enables efficient fusion power production in devices much smaller than previously thought possible. To demonstrate this revolutionary technology, Tokamak Energy are currently operating the worlds first high field spherical tokamak, ST40; designing and building increasingly powerful high-field HTS magnets; and designing a large scale HTS tokamak, ST-F1, that will be the first device to demonstrate the viability of fusion power.
We are looking for a talented physicist to model electromagnetic heating and current drive (H&CD) in high field spherical tokamaks. The role will include contributing to the design and optimisation of Radio Frequency (RF) H&CD schemes for existing and next step high-field spherical tokamaks; and developing RF driven non-inductive start-up scenarios.
Essential selection criteria
- PhD in plasma physics or closely related equivalent experience
- Familiarity with tokamak/plasma EM wave modelling codes (GENRAY, CQL3D, etc)
- Experience working in a research environment or developing novel technologies
- Ability to work efficiently on own initiative
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies
- Ability to effectively communicate results to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Organised approach to tackling complex problems
Desirable selection Criteria
- Experience of programming languages such as MatLab/Python/Unix/C++
- Experimental data analysis experience
- Publication history
- Willingness to develop new and existing collaborations
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.