To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
Do you want to help make limitless fusion power a reality? Are you a plasma physicist looking for a unique opportunity? If so, Tokamak Energy are seeking talented and innovative individuals that are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power to join their physics team. Tokamak Energy’s mission is to transform the way the world generates power by creating a clean, safe and sustainable source of energy for current and future generations. Our innovative approach to fusion is based on two emerging technologies: spherical tokamaks (STs) and high-field magnets made from high temperature superconductors (HTS).
Experimental results from MAST and NSTX have shown that the thermal energy confinement time within spherical tokamaks has a strong favourable dependence on increasing toroidal field (reducing collisionality). When extrapolating to reactor relevant regimes this improved confinement opens the possibility of compact fusion. To investigate the effects of toroidal field on plasma performance Tokamak Energy has constructed the high field spherical tokamak ST40. To date ST40 has operated with 1.5T toroidal field (already the world’s highest field ST) and will soon be commissioned up to its design specification of 3T. We are seeking a talented scientist to interpret experimental results using a transport code (most likely TRANSP).
In parallel to the ST40 experimental campaign we are also designing the future tokamaks ST-F1 and ST-E1. The successful candidate will use the transport code to predict the performance of these devices and inform the decision of device parameters (e.g. choosing the toroidal field and plasma current). Finally, we would like to understand the nature of confinement from a theoretical first-principles perspective and develop reduced transport models. To this end we would like to develop gyrokinetic turbulence simulations both in-house and through collaborations with world-leading scientific laboratories.
Essential selection criteria
- PhD in plasma physics or closely related equivalent experience
- Experience working in a research environment
- Ability to work efficiently on own initiative
- Willingness to develop new and existing collaborations
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies
- Ability to effectively communicate results to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Organised approach to tackling complex problems
Desirable selection Criteria
- Familiarity with tokamak/plasma modelling codes, in particular any knowledge of transport codes and/or gyrokinetic codes.
- Experience of programming languages such as Fortran/C++/Matlab/Python/Unix
- Publication history
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent