Apolitical is the global learning and knowledge platform for people in government. Our Data team have spent 12 months working on creating a knowledge graph for policy from the ground up, an endeavour that will allow us to map out the state of policy today and build powerful discovery tools.
This is a hugely exciting opportunity to shape a tool that could drastically improve outcomes for citizens everywhere by bringing the policy process into the 21st century.
This would be a 6 month fellowship working with our data team to refine and improve our policy discovery tool through enhancing its ability to navigate complex policy topics. There would be the possibility of extension based on the progress of the work.
Your day-to-day as our Policy Fellow
- Identify important, high-quality sources in your field, and in other fields, through desktop and human source research
- Support incorporation of these sources into our tools
- Map out the key concepts, terms, actors, and aims in different areas of policy. Test (and help us to refine) our tools’ ability to correctly and automatically associate these with plain text documents retrieved from the sources you identify.
- Refine our ‘ontology for policy’, ensuring that our framework for mapping out policy areas corresponds to the ways in which policymakers, public servants, and academics think and talk about policy
- Test the tools we build through executing on policy discovery use cases, both hypothetical and by servicing needs for users in government
- Working with our product and user research leads to think about the roadmap for this technology
What you bring
- A postgraduate degree in public policy or in a policy area such as education or health [we have a particular interest at present in those with climate change and job creation backgrounds]
- Enthusiasm for working on hard problems, both as part of a team and more independently
- Enormous curiosity about the wider policy ecosystem and improving government
- Ideally – experience writing policy proposals and whitepapers, perhaps in the public sector or think tanks
- Ideally- an interest in technology, and some digital fluency (for example, understanding different file types, web fundamentals and using microsoft excel)
What we bring
- Upskilling and mentoring through support from data, user experience and public policy professionals within the team
(In addition to working with smart, kind people on one of the most important challenges of our time…)
Stock options: Our employee options plan gives you a stake in our vision.
Flexibility: Everyone works differently. Whether it’s early mornings, late nights or a day at home, we support what gives you energy and makes you effective.
Holidays: We have unlimited holidays, trusting people to take what they need when they need. As a restorative reboot, we give everyone on the team the last Friday of every month off.
Office: In normal times we’re based in beautiful Public Hall, in the heart of Westminster and overlooking the River Thames though we have flexibility around remote working
Parental leave: We offer generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
Personal development: We offer twice-monthly learning days and have learning and development budgets for books, conferences and courses.
Library: We have a constantly growing library, to which every team member contributes their favourite book. There’s also a bigger library in Public Hall.
Discounts: Exclusive discounts and rewards at over 30,000 brands.
Salary: £28,000 – £34,000 in line with experience.
Before applying, you should read Apolitical’s leadership principles. Check in particular that you are excited by the autonomy and changeability that a Series A stage startup demands.