To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
A position is available in the HTS magnet team for an Electrical / Electronics Engineer with experience in modelling and design of dc-dc or dc-ac power converters. The successful candidate will work with fellow engineers on thermal-electric modelling and prototyping of novel components, circuits, topologies, and systems for tokamak technology demonstrators.
A key target is the development of very high current (20-100 kA) power supplies and protection systems for high temperature superconducting (HTS) magnets, including cryogenic components. This is an exciting opportunity to participate in power electronics developments that push the boundaries of materials and technology!
- Modelling of components with non-linear properties to simulate system steady-state and transient behaviour
- Design and development of prototypes to demonstrate technology at lab-bench scale, for example power supplies capable of several kA
- Produce reports and documentation as technology is developed
- Ensure electrical safety policy is followed and contribute to risk assessments and new safety procedures
- Liaise with manufacturers, contractors and collaborators (e.g. Universities) during the design and development of larger engineering-scale demonstrators
- Work in a cross-functional team to deliver new technologies within tight timescales
- £ will be given in areas to support the requirements of the role
- The post will involve occasional travel within the UK and overseas
- Well versed in hard switching and resonant dc-dc converters topologies
- Experience in power electronics from simulation and design to troubleshooting and verification using any of the following: SCRs, IGBTs, Si or SiC MOSFETs, or GaN HEMTs
- Considerable experience or PhD with practical experience at an appropriate level in an industrial manufacturing or technology prototyping environment
- Skilled in using PLECS, SimPowerSystems™, and/or SPICE (or equivalent)
- Familiarity with digital logic design using microcontrollers and/or FPGAs
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Highly motivated, able to work in a dynamic environment
Desirable selection criteria
- Skills in using Matlab®, Simulink®/Simscape™, or Modelica
- Familiarity with environmental testing, e.g. thermal cycling
- Experience with LabView, ideally using National Instruments™ hardware
- Skills in finite element analysis
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.