Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We’re on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We’re looking for a talented PR and Communications Manager to join our team to help define what the world thinks of Octopus for Business and Octopus Generation.
You’ll play a key role as part of the communications team and will work cross functionally with Octopus for Business, Octopus Generation and the wider teams. This is a great opportunity to use creative thinking in a fast paced delivery environment.
If you want to execute on our ambitious PR plans and help define what our customers think of Octopus for Business and Octopus Generation this could be the right role for you.
You’ll forge relationships with key media professionals, journalists, and press to keep them in the loop with our news. Like everything at Octopus, our approach to PR is an expression of our mission and brands – focusing on transparency and honesty.
You’ll be the first person covering the business and generation teams and report into our Head of Communications, as well as work closely with the wider Octopus Energy Marketing team.
What you’ll do
- Build key PR relationships within digital, broadcast journalists etc
- You’ll be the Octopus for Business and Octopus Generation eyes and ears when it comes to PR, trends, developments of big opportunities
- You will execute and design all the press releases
- Look at broader PR and communications goals within the team and wider teams both UK and globally
- Stay close to trends in the green tech / renewables space
What you’ll need
- PR experience in a fast paced environment is essential
- Financial PR experience would be ideal but not a must
- A passion for what we’re doing. You should be excited by Octopus Energy’s brand and the long term mission and values
- Experience working in PR within in regulatory environment – again this isn’t a must but an ideal
- To understand the value of PR and how it relates to Octopus Energy
- A passion for green energy / renewables or generation
Why else you’ll love it here
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health. We also have access to the EV Salary Sacrifice Scheme – if you want to get an EV!
If you this opportunity sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
More about Octopus Energy for Business (OEB)
Octopus Energy is a scale-up electricity and gas supplier in Great Britain, having enjoyed huge success in its first 4 and a half years of existence and now supplies over 1.5 million households and businesses across the UK. Octopus Energy is also part of Octopus Group, the UK’s largest investor in solar farms and the third largest investor in renewable generation overall. The solar farms they’ve funded generate 40% of all the UK’s large scale solar, enough to power over a quarter of a million homes (when the sun shines!). They’ve also invested in wind generation, anaerobic digestion plans and “rapid response” gas generation to help balance supply when there’s no wind and sun.
Within Octopus Energy sits Octopus Energy for Business (OEB), who supply businesses from small independent coffee shops and schools all the way up to the likes of the National Space Centre and the Emirates Stadium. Their innovative approach to business energy has seen the launch of a number of successful products. These include Electric Juice, a dynamic tariff for the UK’s electric charging networks and Panel Power, a product for businesses with solar PV looking to decentralise their energy usage to name but a few.
A role with Octopus is a chance to join an exciting scale-up company within the energy supply sector, and one that is well placed to take advantage of the rapidly changing energy landscape. They enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a large, well-capitalised business with access to highly experienced and talented individuals, all whilst retaining the dynamic environment and energetic team that characterises start-up ventures.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.