A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 600 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team
Our vision is bold, our product is new and will require global top talent to make it happen.
The company is embarking on an entirely new aircraft concept, which will be vertically integrated through our Digital Platform and offered direct to customers. Our vision is to deliver outstanding customer value and highly efficient operation to become a new state-of-the-art service proposition. As our new “Chief Engineer” for the Digital Platform you will be growing and leading our multi-disciplinary technical team defining how this platform will meet Lilium’s business requirements.
The Digital Platform is broad in its scope of responsibility, providing the necessary systems that will manage our service, the aircraft fleet and vertiports. With the customer at the very centre of our focus, we will provide journey booking, communication and identification services amongst other passenger services. Our vision is to deliver a platform comprising a mixture of build and buy components, utilising the best of traditional airline technology to accelerate our delivery whilst innovating in the areas that are completely new or will drive market differentiation. You will be at the heart of selecting our technologies, guiding the technical design and bringing them together to realise our vision.
The complexity of the programme is high, containing dependencies within our team as well as into the aircraft engineering, aircraft production and vertiport operations divisions. We also have many external operational and regulatory stakeholders such as our pilots, customer services, Airline Operating Companies (AOCs) and maintenance organisations. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a team creating cutting-edge technology solutions making environmentally friendly regional air mobility scalable. You’ll be working alongside like-minded colleagues to make a significant contribution to the launch of a revolutionary new form of transport.
We strongly believe that our air transportation service is a true benefit for cities and people around the world, with low noise and zero air pollution, as well as affordable pricing, it will enrich how we live our lives and enable many more opportunities for humankind.
Lilium welcomes people from all over the world. We are a multinational company and happy to support our new top talents with relocation. This position will be based in London.
Our team members are humble generalists and we’re constantly learning and applying new technologies to a ‘build’ tech stack that currently includes .NET Core, Go, Python, React, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, and Cassandra. In addition, we will be working with a number of technology vendors to supply specific ‘buy’ components that will be well integrated into a seamless Digital Platform.
We’re not expecting you to know all of these technologies but would expect you to be experienced with at least some and be willing to learn the rest. Our team members are constantly learning and sharing new skills every day – if you have a passion for technology, we’d love to hear from you.
Your Day to Day:
- Overall responsibility for driving the technical analysis and design across the entire Digital Platform and determining the best solution for each component (with a very capable technical team). Ensuring all technical aspects are considered, including architecture, data, security, infrastructure, software engineering, non-functionals and operability etc.
- Defining, shaping and evolving Lilium’s technical strategies and roadmaps, ensuring they are fit for purpose through engagement with senior internal and external stakeholders. Driving innovation through research and proof of concepts, identifying how emerging technologies and techniques could enable Lilium to remain a market leader
- Collaboration with our product team and business analysts to fully understand Lilium’s business requirements and expectations, providing guidance on requirements feasibility, and ensuring our solutions will be able to effectively and efficiently meet them
- Leadership, coaching and mentoring of a talented team of digital engineering leads and specialists, ensuring they have everything they need to be successful, and in turn their respective teams deployed in a matrix style organisational model
- Driving a culture of quality and rigor, overseeing technical governance, standards and debt. Guiding the effectiveness and efficiency of both the team and the solution
- A member of the Digital Leadership Team, taking ownership for aspects critical to the success of the overall programme, contributing to planning, feasibility, estimation and risk management with our Digital Programme Manager, and collaborating with our Digital Delivery Lead to ensure our solutions are delivered to a high quality
- Be motivated by fast paced environments, where a high degree of autonomy and personal responsibility are given to teams in order to create success
- Have led engineering for exciting and innovative new products in a complex, mission-critical environment with a mix of agile build and buy workstreams
- Have a thorough appreciation of software and architecture practices, processes and techniques – enriched with real-world experience of delivering and operating such solutions on a global scale
- Demonstrate successful leadership, with gaining the confidence of your team and striving to enable their success
- Be fluent in English and have excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Excellent and proven relationship management skills, able to develop positive working relationships across different levels and functions
- Be passionate about constantly getting better – with the drive to create continuous improvements across the organisation
What can you expect from us
- We have a low ego culture where the best idea will be embraced, whomever it comes from. We will both support your individual success and challenge your views in an open, honest and respectful manner.
- We believe that clear individual responsibility is vital to our success and will therefore give you the support, autonomy and ownership necessary for you to achieve your best
- We have an open communication style, both at a company level (with regular Q&A sessions and learning opportunities) and at an individual basis.
- In everything we do, we are driven by our shared ambition to create a brand new mode of transport. Our entrepreneurial and innovation principles guide an approach where we are pushing the bounds of what’s possible, whilst also ensuring our culture continues to be respectful and inclusive.
Life at Lilium:
You are joining us as we are building our global footprint. While the current COVID-19 restrictions mean that many of us are working remotely we are still making the most out of this time. Meet fellow colleagues via our culture sessions and free weekly yoga classes, or improve your German or English with our free language courses.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.