While most of Team Bulb are working from home at this time, our Covid-secure offices are open for team members who need to use them. We’ve hired and onboarded more than 150 people virtually during the pandemic and have developed our ways of working to make sure new joiners feel part of our team. This includes virtual socials, lunch time ‘Insights’ from a range of internal and external speakers, and live streaming whole company meetings. If you’d like to read more about how we’ve adapted over the last few months, head over to our blog, and you can let us know about your specific requirements as part of the recruitment process.
About the team
Bulb is here to help our members cut their energy bills and reduce their carbon emissions. Our product teams make that happen. We’re developing products that will deliver the future of energy – from using AI to read energy meters, to making carbon offsetting fun and simple, from finding out how to get the most from Smart Meter data to helping people get paid for their solar energy. We also power the sign-up journey that helped us become the fastest growing company in the UK last year and the internal tools that let us deliver a an excellent Trust Pilot score.
The following pods are hiring Principal Engineers:
Covers member web and mobile apps as well as tooling that support our Energy Specialists to deliver #1 member experience. Experience in bringing productivity improvements for internal teams is very beneficial.
Requires genuine full-stack skills and experience, nice to see integrations with 3rd parties predominantly for helpdesk, telephony, chat.
At Bulb we want to hire people with the experiences necessary to get going quickly, but who are also interested in learning new things and are comfortable working in a changing environment.
- Expert level knowledge in multiple technologies
- Work with CTO to define long term technical strategy, guidelines and principles, and align multiple teams spanning 20+ engineers across multiple pods
- Take ownership for large projects stretching beyond quarterly planning ensuring successful delivery, but don’t shy away from harder tactical improvements
- Identifies and plans strategic improvements across operation of multiple pods / organisation
- Help us hire and onboard senior and specialist roles and support the growth of engineers across multiple pods.
- Bootstraps new pods ensuring technical alignment at an early stage.
At Bulb we use a wide variety of technologies. While we have core technologies that we work with, we’re always trying to pick the best tool for the job, and are always looking at what’s on the horizon.
Our stack currently includes, but is not limited to:
- Node, Typescript, Koa, GraphQL React, React Native, Webpack, Babel
- CircleCI, Kubernetes, Docker and Google Cloud Platform
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods. The key features of this structure are:
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Scrum/Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the team are working on.
- We use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, discretionary share options and bonus
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
- Healthcare with Vitality after passing probation, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
- Cycle to work scheme
- One month sabbatical leave after your first year