Zenobē Energy was established to enable the transition to full zero-carbon, non-polluting power, and transport systems through the intelligent use of energy storage.
The company has established itself as a UK market leader in battery storage, with 225MW of operational grid-scale battery capacity, and is now a leading firm in the financing and provision of turnkey solutions for heavy-duty electric vehicle fleets with over 100 electric buses in operation across 6 metropolitan areas. The company has been consistently innovative since its founding in 2017, with major industry firsts in software development, market access, financing, and solution provision. It is backed by leading strategic energy storage investors and is uniquely positioned to meet customer demands with innovative solutions. Having raised multiple rounds of equity funding since inception, one of the largest battery portfolios in operation, and over 25%of the UK’s EV buses, we are a rapidly growing company looking for talented hires to drive further growth.
Specifically, we are looking to recruit a commercially and technically astute engineering professional with experience in the battery storage market to support the growth of the Network & Infrastructure businesses. The candidate will bring a good understanding of grid requirements and battery storage applications, have a proven experience of working with relevant customers, and have the capability and credibility to design and engineering projects. Working with the Directors and other members of the Engineering team, the candidate will be able to manage the day-to-day aspects of the grid studies, engineering design, and plant specifications. The role integrates with team members in procurement, project, engineering, and construction to put together complex, optimized plant design, and techno-economic analysis. The role includes liaising with clients and external
stakeholders such as National Grid and technical consultants. The candidate will shape the engineering team at Zenobe. It will be a requirement to hit the ground running and to be comfortable operating at a rapid pace at times with levels of ambiguity and the pressure of deadlines.
- Supporting origination and working on the development of transmission and distribution level large scale energy storage projects in the UK and internationally
- Lead the engineering team and oversee key design decisions of the plant such as a rating of the equipment, technical specifications, and general design (SLD, layout) of large scale energy storage projects
- Review, and challenge where appropriate, contractor design and engineering deliverables.
- Manage the submission of transmission and distribution connection applications and the interface with the network owner and operator
- Perform power/electrical system studies including performance assessment for design assurance, and transient and dynamic stability studies
- Develop an in-house engineering team to reduce the reliance on external consultants and suppliers (i.e. competency for running power system studies)
- Support the business development team with technical or technical-economic analysis for tenders
- Support the project delivery teams during the basic and detailed design phases, construction and commissioning.
- Ensure technical queries are correctly assessed and responded to.
- Perform engineering tasks and implement engineering best practices
- Act as the ultimate reviewer for key engineering deliverables
- Working with suppliers and Procurement, carry out ongoing research and stay up to date with the latest applications for technologies associated with large scale battery storage project
A job with Zenobē means a job with the market leader in one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest-growing sectors, gaining exposure to diverse roles and highly experienced partners.
- Proven experience in the power system modeling field
- Experience in relevant software programs such as DIgSILENT, PSS/E, and PSCAD
- Understanding of Transmission & Distribution (T&D) network and Grid Code requirements in the UK
- Understanding of design requirements for low to high-voltage electrical equipment in the context of an energy storage installation (interference between equipment, blast and fire safety, general access and egress for installation and ongoing O&M, etc.)
- Understanding of the key services being procured by the ESO (SCL, FFR, DC, CM,BM, and the various ways of obtaining them
- Fluent in Microsoft office applications including powerpoint, excel, word and project.
- Outstanding excel skills
- Knowledge of CAD
- High quality education (bachelor’s or master’s degree) in engineering, preferably electrical engineering or similar. The candidate will have ideally achieved chartered engineer status.
- A genuine passion in clean energy and our social and environmental mission
- Solid work experience (minimum 7-10 years) in engineering or consultancy in the energy sector (B2B) preferably in energy storage or renewables sectors
- Strong commercial skills – comfortable with Capex and Opex calculation
- Excellent communication skills, capable of presenting technical results and implications
- Strong organisation skills, team player, and good attention to detail
- Knowledge of the UK energy landscape
- Strong leadership skills with a growth mindset
- Results-oriented who is not scared of taking accountability
- Ability to manage and motivate people
- Ability to work in the HQ in London
- Desire to work in a fast-moving, high pressure, and entrepreneurial environment
- Knowledge of either the US and / or the Australian energy landscapes
- Previous working experience with BESS systems greater than 10MW
- Ability to work in the HQ in London Experience managing a team of engineers
- Experience working on transmission connected assets / projects at voltage levels of 132kV and above.
We are committed to the principles of equal opportunity for all and prohibit discrimination of every type. We will always ensure that all persons are treated fairly irrespective of their race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, political beliefs, trade union membership or non-membership, marital, physical, or mental status, or any other factors including pregnancy and maternity. We will endeavor to provide those who have physical or mental disabilities with specific assistance and arrangements to enable them to work for us wherever and whenever this is reasonably practical.
Our company is fully committed to the elimination of unlawful and unfair discrimination and values the differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation. We will not discriminate because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality, and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We will not discriminate because of any other irrelevant factor and will build a culture that values meritocracy, openness, fairness, and transparency.