Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community. Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses.
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it. We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products. So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm. Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre.
Wefarm is looking for a Product Designer with extraordinary UI skills to design the first digital interface with our members. The Product Designer will work closely with the Product Manager, UX Researcher and Developers to create a smooth and delightful user experience. Wefarm members are located in rural East Africa and access to data and connection can be a challenge for them. The Product Designer will have the opportunity to find creative solutions to these problems and design a lightweight UI for a new digital community space for our members in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania, enabling millions of farmers to connect with each other.
You put the user at the heart of everything you do. Your screen designs, user flows and the UI elements always have a purpose and you’re able to explain your design thinking in a structured way. You’ll always be looking for ways we can add delight and inspiration to our experiences. You have great taste but recognize design is a collaborative and iterative process, so you don’t aim for perfection the first time. You are constantly trying to improve, and want to be part of a team that pushes you to be better.
- As a key member of a cross functional team, you will be working closely with Product Managers, Developers, and Data Scientists to help form and design the experience of our product
- Aid in leading the design of Wefarm’s first digital platform, including IA, interaction design and UI design, thinking about designing for emerging markets with limited data and internet connection
- Help create and define UI design guidelines
- Use design thinking and other design methodologies to find the best UX solution to solve a problem
- Transform ideas into concrete testable designs
- Ability to communicate your designs and rationale for your decisions coherently to the wider team
- Design user journeys, personas and other supportive UX outputs to analyse and synthesize the product UX
- Take an active part in UX research and usability testing
- Support shaping Wefarm user experience principles
- A good eye for UI, with the ability to translate brand values into design elements
- Genuine empathy for and love of people! The experiences you build are used by humans and you’re not afraid to connect with them.
- A naturally collaborative approach and are a great communicator who can easily build strong relationships and solve problems with cross functional teams. You’ll go out of your way to seek feedback.
- Experience in end-to-end UX design, having taken concepts from initial requirement stage through discovery, research, design and validation.
- Strong understanding of UX research and the various tools available during the discovery process (e.g. surveys, workshops etc.)
- Good knowledge of UX testing methodologies and their application in a design process
- Experience in online communities design and eCommerce is a plus
Rewards package and remuneration
The total rewards package and remuneration will be based on experience and potential, but is highly competitive and will include share options. We believe in our team being not only the executors of Wefarm’s visions but the makers and owners of it!
As a global business, travel is essential to who we are, and will be a perk of the job. We also host an annual whole company offsite (Wecamp), previously held in Kenya and Uganda. In addition, we have a generous pension package, flexible working environment (within reason of course!), and we value spending time together – boarding the weekly lunch train, sharing some drinks on a Friday and frequent social events throughout the year (when possible…).
N.B. You must have the right to work in the UK
We will review applicants on an ongoing basis, unfortunately we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.