Puraffinity Ltd is a rapidly growing start-up company. We are driven and strive to solve the global problem of PFAS water pollution, working on several water treatment projects in parallel. We work collaboratively, have a good mixture of age, gender, ethnicity, native language and multidisciplinary backgrounds, and value the opinion of every team member. We are a hub of diversity and excellence, with space for individual team working styles.
Reporting to the team leader, you will support the design, synthesis, characterisation, testing and optimisation of Puraffinity’s innovative adsorbent materials. Your responsibilities will include product development, material characterisation and product testing.
- Design, synthesis and purification of novel adsorbent material products
- Identify new organic synthetic routes to optimise material performance
- Carry out reactions at a range of scales, from grams to 100 g
- Build robust structure-properties-performance relationships
- Ensure laboratory experiments, SOPs, Risk Assessments, COSHH forms and results are clearly documented
- Generation of new IP
- Mentoring of junior colleagues
- Characterise intermediates and products, using a range of techniques such as: PSD, NMR, FTIR, SEM, XPS, TGA-DSC, elemental analysis, either in house or with partners
- Interpret and analyse results to understand and improve surface chemistry
- Test new material adsorption performance
- Use Excel and statistical analysis software to interpret performance data in order to improve synthetic reaction process parameters
- Masters in Chemistry
- R&D experience in a commercial setting
- Extensive experience in the design and execution of synthesis reactions
- Knowledge of using a range of techniques for material characterisation
- High standards, attention to detail and a robust scientific approach to collecting and interpreting data
- Proactive approach to health and safety
- Strong commercial awareness
- Creative and adaptable, able to respond effectively to changing priorities
- Strong organisation and prioritisation skills, able to multi-task efficiently
- Able to work comfortably in a responsive and fast-paced environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills; able to communicate technical concepts clearly
- Strong teamworking ability and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of material science and surface functionalisation reactions
- Experience in process development and optimisation
- Experience of managing relationships with 3rd parties (collaborations, outsourcing companies, etc)
Benefits include: Shares in Puraffinity, Vitality Health Care, 25 days holiday + 8 public bank holidays, enhanced pension employer contribution scheme (up to 7.5%), generous training budget for personal development (£1,000 per year).
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: £34,000 – £46,000
Please note that the final stage of the interview process will involve a psychometric test.