The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Best Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
The climate crisis is humanity’s greatest challenge and the OVO Group organisations are all working together to lower our collective carbon emissions to zero. Would you be interested in joining us to help achieve this?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
OVO is a heavily data-driven organisation with an ever growing demand for excellent quality, reliable and accurate data to power our decisioning: our Senior Leadership team prioritising investment, our Product teams working out the best way to serve and delight our customers in a highly regulated and competitive market, our Data Science teams building insights to help customers reduce their carbon impact by analysing their smart meter data.
To support these use cases and many more, we need to be able to empower the organisation with a cutting edge Data Platform. You will work as part of a growing set of teams focused on building this platform, providing the rest of the business with the data they need, at the speed and in the format they need it.
What will I be doing?
OVO is a collection of companies and brands – OVO Energy, SSE, Boost, Lumo, Corgi, Spark. Underpinning these is a myriad suite of operational systems creating a complex source system estate, with overlapping domains and customer slices.
As the Product Manager for the Data Architecture team:
- you will build strong relationships with all of your stakeholders from across the OVO brands and cross-functional teams such as Finance, Commercial, Regs & Compliance, Data Science, BI, to understand their requirements and the relative priorities
- you will work closely with the team of architects and engineers to help them prioritise the evolution of the OVO Data Model, to encompass all of the most important data to drive the business, and see this realised within the Data Platform in both real-time and batch warehousing data layers as per the OVO Data Strategy
- In line with OVO’s Product and Tech culture, you will use agile methodologies to break down work and ship value to the business via continuous delivery, actively measuring outcomes against goals, and iterating towards the desired end state.
- Develop an excellent understanding of the needs of your various customers across OVO, and their use cases for data
- Define their problems and requirements, ideally finding common areas of pain/benefit to drive the greatest benefit for minimum effort
- Prioritisation of these problems by quantification of cost and effort against the benefit to the business
- Working with stakeholders to ensure the priority calls you make are in line with strategic business direction
- Support the engineering team using Agile methods to plan and deliver work
- Evolve core data models and source-to-target mappings, for both operational and analytical use cases
- Build these models in strategic data layers – particularly our data warehouse, in line with OVO’s kafka-first data strategy
- Support BI teams as they build out semantic data marts for Finance, Ops, Commercial, on top of the core data warehouse
- Ensure DPO engagement with the technical choices being made, keeping data security and our customers’ privacy choices at the forefront
- Build accuracy and resilience into these components so that they can be trusted by your customers, in line with the broader Data Platform
- Document and socialise logical and physical data models, making it as self-serve and collaborative as possible
Is this the job for me?
Essential skills and experience:
- Demonstrable in depth experience of building a modern data capability for use by varied stakeholders in a large enterprise
- Sustained experience of developing integrated data models – conceptual, logical, physical – for both operational and analytical use
- Excellent knowledge of data warehousing and modelling concepts
- Experience of complex data integrations, ETL/ELT, in batch and real-time
- An ability to drive the delivery of cross-functional teams, ideally with Scrum, Kanban other Agile methods
- A focus on quality and accuracy when building data products
- Ability to explain describe complex technical concepts simply to business and technical stakeholders at all levels
- Knowledge of cloud solutions, e.g. GCP, AWS
- Experience working with streaming technologies e.g. Kafka, Spark, Pub/Sub and microservices based architectures
- Experience working with monolithic based architectures with batch processes
- Approaches projects to maximise learning through iteration, ideally experience working with agile teams
- Management of a diverse set of stakeholders, prioritising and resolving competing requests
From us you’ll get*
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.
Please mention For Purpose Jobs in your application