Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% – 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
People and Planet Positive. We’re caretakers of the planet, helping to preserve and support it for now and the future. Our work already minimises the impact that the hospitality industry has on the planet, and we’re also committed to actively reducing our own footprint while doing so. We’re leaving the planet and its people better off than we found them.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
As Product Owner, you will take ownership of the backlog and drive development of Winnow’s in-kitchen experience, working in a dedicated Scrum based team. You will collaborate and negotiate with all stakeholders to agree prioritisation and requirements, and validate solutions and designs. You will have the chance to influence product direction and design in a fast-paced environment and have the satisfaction of seeing your work being rapidly used by catering and hospitality businesses all over the world.
This is a hands-on role requiring you to spend ample time with our customers and internal stakeholders to understand how our customers’ day to day needs are best met when using our product. As an experienced PO you will be expected to help build a customer-centric culture of delivering great customer value; maintain structure and rigour with regards to capturing requirements, validating solutions, and communicating change and results; and participate in the full software development cycle.
- Based on the vision for our in-kitchen data collection systems, own and maintain an outcome based roadmap and associated detailed product backlog in Jira on how to turn that vision into reality.
- Conduct user research and stakeholder meetings to solicit feedback and validate priorities and solutions.
- Build and refine requirements for upcoming development sprints, including coordinating visual design and UX.
- Work with our designers and developers to ensure agreed work is clearly understood and accurately implemented.
- Assist in product design evaluations and user acceptance testing.
- Analyse data, usage statistics and feedback to gain user insight – working appropriate insights into future iterations.
- Create and publish in Confluence internal product update release notes and related documentation such as flow charts, screenshots and videos to explain changed and new functionality.
- Work together with our product marketing function across support, customer success, and sales teams to inform and align on important product changes.
- Manage translation and localisation needs for the Kitchen Experience workstream.
- You will have experience working as a Product Owner for a technology company delivering SaaS and app based solutions, or you might be working in a Business Analyst or Project Manager role but be passionate about product development.
- You are well versed in writing use cases and user stories and have experience working in the Agile/Scrum development methodology.
- You are comfortable producing wireframes to communicate expected feature interaction, as well as working with UX/UI designers to produce detailed designs.
- You are experienced in managing and prioritising large sets of requirements, and breaking these down into iterative steps focusing delivery on the most valuable step first.
- You can convincingly describe a model for how you would go from idea stage of a desired outcome through design and development to the delivered finished solution, with confidence in satisfying the stakeholders involved in the project.
- You are able to demonstrate how you have driven process change when rolling out updated versions of software and followed through to ensure a successful implementation.
- You have experience in using data to analyse user behaviour, ideally through high level UI driven tools (eg Mixpanel, Google Analytics) as well as SQL.
- You love what you do and are excited by the idea of defining a product vision, taking ownership of that vision and making it real.
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner.
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team.
- You are creative, and brave in bringing forth your ideas, but welcome criticism and will seek to elicit and adopt the best answer to any problem, from all available sources.
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in requirements and designs.
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy suggesting and implementing creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done.
- Able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines.
- Able to convince others of an expressed point of view and gain acceptance and agreement of plans.
- You demonstrate excellent communication skills. You are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear. You are also confident enough to ask questions and to clarify ambiguous points.
- You have a track record of identifying problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision making skills.
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Eyecare vouchers
- 25 days of paid vacation time (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave) in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business