Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% – 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about the like-minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (ranked 78th fastest growing European start-up by the FT) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic point in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
From October 2021, Winnow is adopting a hybrid working model where employees will have the flexibility to work a couple of days a week remotely should they wish to.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an Agile environment with collaborative product design and development practices at the core. You will have the chance to influence product direction and design in a fast paced environment and have the satisfaction of seeing your work underpin the adoption of Winnow by large hospitality businesses all over the world.
As a Product Owner, you will take ownership of the operational efficiency area of our product suite to enable internal teams to operate at scale across the globe in a cost and time efficient way.
You will be responsible for envisioning and developing new features from scratch as well as managing the existing backlog. It will be critical that you can collaborate with other product teams to ensure dependencies are covered. You will also need to be able to work with stakeholders to agree on the prioritisation of the backlog to best support the needs of clients and the business.
- Build and support mission-critical functionality and continue to iterate on ways to enable faster and more efficient scale for the business
- Conduct user research and stakeholder meetings to understand your users and validate direction
- Work with our designers and developers to ensure our vision is fulfilled and the best solution to solve the needs of the users is delivered
- Analyse data, usage statistics and feedback to gain user insight, working the insights into future iterations
This is a hands-on role requiring you to work closely with internal Winnow stakeholders to identify opportunities to consolidate and improve our internal software tools, as we scale to thousands rather than hundreds of customers. As someone with a problem-solving mindset, you will be expected to help build a customer-centric culture of delivering great products, and define appropriate ways to capture, document, and validate requirements.
Our company structure is flat and product prioritisation is driven by evolving customer needs and our agile process, so a collaborative approach to your work is essential.
Ideal education and experience
- You are a Product Owner / Manager with a good understanding of the software product development process, or an aspiring Product Owner with a Business Analyst or technical delivery background
- You have experience delivering on a roadmap to make conceptual product features a reality
- You have gained some of your experience in a B2B SaaS environment
- You have experience working in a fast-paced (ideally startup) agile/scrum environment
- You are confident in conducting user research, requirements solicitation, writing user use cases and user stories and are comfortable with wire-framing and producing concept sketches and user flows
- You are capable of effectively prioritising a competing requirements list
You have a good working knowledge of product development tools such as Jira, Confluence etc. and an understanding SQL would be a plus
- You have a track record of identifying and understanding complex problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision-making skills
- You have strong analytical skills and are proven in using data to quickly get to the root cause of an issue from which you can start to work on a solution
- You are skilled in driving a process and seeing it through to completion
- You are able to build strong cross-border relationships (internally and externally), you use your diplomacy when required, and you can get people onside to get things done
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy implementing creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done
- You are organised and are effective in scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills
- You are results-driven and can manage multiple tasks in parallel, delivering effective solutions and pace and within tight deadlines
- You demonstrate excellent communication skills. You are a confident and articulate presenter to audiences small and large. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy a healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- 2 Wellness hours per month, plus a £20 monthly wellness allowance
- Employee Assistance Programme – 24/7 helpline for your wellbeing
- 25 days of paid vacation time (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave) in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business