The Snapshot – The successful candidate will be an essential addition to the company’s Innovation team over the summer months getting to develop world-class plant-based products for the market. We are currently in the process of building a cutting edge Innovation centre that will consist of a circa 2000sq ft space, lots of fun equipment, space to bring ideas to life and an amazing team to deliver them.
What is THIS?
THIS is a high-growth, VC-backed start-up producing plant-based food. Meat-alternatives, to be exact. In fact, if we’re being reallllly exact – our products are at the leading-edge of the plant-based sector in terms of taste, texture and appearance. Here’s our insta, for a quick stalk – https://www.instagram.com/this.uk
It’s worth mentioning that since our launch in June 2019, the company has experienced extremely significant growth in revenue – around 35% compound every month we’ve been trading.
Why are we doing THIS?
We’re Andy and Pete – co-founders of THIS. Our last job entailed selling tonnes (literally tonnes) of meat. Then we felt bad. Also, we felt like meat-alternatives weren’t realllllly for people who love the taste of meat. We felt like they were for people who like sandals and socks. So we’ve basically ended up making THIS for ourselves, but we’d love other meat-lovers to nom nom it too. THIS is a game-changer.
What will you be doing?
- This is a unique opportunity to join a tight-knit and growing Innovation team, helping to build up the internal R&D function from a standing start.
- Lead the product sample requests from buyers and foodservice providers, following recipes to showcase our NPD.
- Assist product developers and senior product developers on formulation development, including lab and pilot trials of new plant-based products.
- Communicate with third parties/suppliers on raw materials.
- Assist workaround incrementally improving the company’s existing products.
- Help to set up and establish best practice procedures for the company around R&D ways of working e.g. office inventory systems and market benchmarking.
- Keep a close eye on future market trends and new products
- We estimate that you’ll spend your time in West London at one of our R&D locations.
What are we looking for?
- Looking for someone to start ASAP for 2-3 Months.
- Someone with an understanding of the end-to-end understanding of the food innovation process, from idea conception to launching a product to market.
- A Degree or currently studying in food science, chemistry, engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in a similar R&D, product development or technologist role within FMCG is preferred.
- Prior experience or knowledge of the development of food products from inception through to launch.
- Passion for food and sustainability. Taste and quality are TOP of our agenda.
- A HUSTLER. This person will need to get sh*t done in a major way and knock through what will seem like brick walls. We are leading the category in terms of product, and for us to stay there, you will need to have a relentlessness that isn’t in everybody.
- Positive attitude, proactivity and a tenacious character: things in our business can change very quickly, so being comfortable reacting quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges is super important too!
- Ability and interest to work cross-functionally, we’re a small team and believe that strong collaboration will take us further than working in silos
- Honesty & integrity – a conviction in your work to improve your small patch of the world for yourself and for others
- Team player: we’re colleagues but also mates (unless we’re playing table tennis)
As a start-up, everyone who joins us needs to be ready to roll up their sleeves and carry out tasks away from their core focus because – they just need to get done. That could be helping to prepare samples for a customer meeting, trying new products and giving tasting notes, packing cold bags into boxes or a lot of other random stuff that comes up. They’re not always the most glamorous jobs, but from the founders down, the whole team gets involved!
From our side
- A competitive salary that fairly recognises your experience and potential.
- 5 days paid holiday plus bank holidays – we care about our team’s wellbeing, so we make sure you have time to fully switch off, rest, and recharge.
- Flexible working hours – We’re not a 9-5. No one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- We do really care about our team’s wellbeing so we give everyone a wellness allowance every year to spend on things that will improve their wellness like gym memberships, fitness classes, counselling, physio, meditation apps and more.
- Everyone has the opportunity to work from home a day a month, should they fancy it.
- A values-led working environment that encourages putting people first, honesty, curiosity and leadership.
The chance to have a meaningful impact
As a small, albeit growing, team you’ll be exposed to – and have the chance to contribute towards – challenges and projects at all levels and in all areas of the business. A good idea is a good idea, regardless of the experience or seniority of who came up with it.
We’d love to hear from you, so please apply with your CV and a video cover “letter” (doesn’t have to be snazzy, just 1-3 mins with a quick overview of your background and why you think you could fit this role).