Salary: Up to 65k + Benefits
Status: Permanent /Full-time strongly preferable (however can potentially be flexible)
Location: Birmingham City Centre
Energy Systems Catapult (ESC) is part of a network of elite technology and innovation centres set up by Innovate UK. The ESC works with companies that are focused on exploiting the opportunities created by the need to transform global energy systems; not only playing a part in accelerating technology-based solutions, but also engaging with Government to address the market mechanisms and business models that will be required to enable such solutions.
ESC will create a critical mass for business and research innovation, focusing on electricity, heat and combustible gases. This centre will be an important part of the UK’s innovation system, making a major long-term contribution to UK economic growth.
The Catapult is organised as a set of Platforms and Capabilities.
The Platforms are focussed on commercial engagement with organisations in the energy sector; their objective is to understand the needs of these organisations and to respond to them in the most effective way.
The Capabilities are structured around areas of subject matter expertise (Digital & Data; Systems Integration; Modelling; Infrastructure & Engineering; and Consumer Insight). Each Capability is focussed on defining, designing and delivering solutions that satisfy technical, operational and commercial requirements to address client and sector needs. Solutions may require contribution from multiple Capabilities and may take the form of a project or programme, or an asset like a model, dataset, or test facility. The Digital & Data Capability is comprised of a number of functions and teams:
- Systems Development (including Software, Hardware, DevOps and Data Science)
- Data Systems (Energy Data Taskforce, Data Best Practice, Data Platform, and Digital Fitness
- Delivery & Operations
- The Delivery & Operations team is a key function within the Digital team has three main areas of responsibility:
- Definition and Delivery of the Digital Delivery Roadmap and all projects within it
- Day-to-day Business Operations of the Digital team including Business Plan, Resource Management, Business and Project Reporting and associated Operating Model and Processes
- Operational Support of assets such as Living Lab Digital Platform
The Delivery & Operations (D&O) Manager role reports to the Digital Business Leader and is accountable for leading the Delivery and Operations team to undertake the above functions including:
- Definition, establishment and delivery of a Portfolio Programme projects and initiatives within the Digital team and the creation and management of the associated Digital Delivery Roadmap.
- Work closely with key stakeholders both within the Catapult and external, including senior government, regulator and other industry partners and clients.
- Assess project and work requests directly with stakeholders, clients, bid managers and technical specialists to define the Scope of Work for new projects and prepare compelling Project Proposals including activities, deliverables, timelines, issues and risks, timelines and costs.
- Full accountability for the delivery of the Digital Portfolio Programme against the agreed Scope of Work, Timelines and Committed Budgets.
- Identify and engage partners, third parties and subcontractors as required to enable the successful delivery of the Digital Portfolio Programme.
- Responsible for all Programme and Project Reporting both internally and to external clients.
- Ongoing Operations of the Living Lab to ensure appropriate processes, resources and support arrangements are in place for the continuous smooth running of the Lab and any trials and projects that are using it, and for our participants comfort and safety.
- Business Operations support for the Digital Business Leader for the day-to-day operational aspects of the Digital team and the assets and capabilities within it, including Business Planning, Business & Impact Reporting, Resource Management, and Digital Governance & Processes.
- Direct Line Management of Digital Project Managers, Project Support team, and Living Lab Operations team, including career/personal development, training and performance reviews
Key Work Activities
- Create a Digital Portfolio Programme and Delivery Roadmap including all projects and initiatives including In-Flight, Bids and Opportunities aligned with the Digital Business Plan
- Drive, manage and deliver the Living Lab programme and all projects in the Digital Programme to agreed time, cost and scope
- Manage a team of project managers, operational and project support resources and develop and motivate team to ensure individual and team performance meets or exceeds requirements
- Ensure effective project management definition, delivery and governance processes are defined, documented and adhered to for all projects
- Work with the Business Development, Product Managers, Solution Architect, Systems Development and other stakeholders to impact assess new project/work requests with a focus on time, cost and effort to define, scope and deliver and alignment with the Delivery Roadmap
- Work with Project Sponsors to develop the delivery aspects of Business Cases
- Work with Platforms and Bid Management to support bid preparation
- Regular reporting to Digital and ESC Management Team on the status of the Digital Projects, Delivery Roadmap and annual operating performance
- Accountable for the day-to-day operations of the Living Lab and Digital assets to ensure availability for projects and trials
- Ensure appropriate processes, resources and support arrangements are in place for the continuous smooth running of the Lab and any trials and projects that are using it
- Specific focus key processes for Health & Safety and Data Protection
- Technical support of participants, partners, customers and subcontractors
- Accountable for participants comfort and safety as per the terms of engagement
- Negotiate project contract terms with clients, partners and sub-contractors with ESC legal
- Responsible for day-to-day management of the business operations of the Digital team including: budget and forecast; resource management and forecast; purchasing and invoicing; monthly, quarterly and other Business & Impact reporting
- Development of an effective operating model and associated processes for the Digital team
- Governance to ensure that Digital operating model and processes are working effectively, and continuously improve and evolve as required
- Design and implement key performance indicators to support Business Reporting
What credentials are we ideally looking for ?
General, Programme and Team Management skills and experience:
- Demonstrable track record of defining, establishing and delivering complex, rapidly changing and high-profile Programmes and Projects
- Expertise in negotiating contracts from both a procurement and supplier perspective
- Strong team and line management skills to build, manage and retain team members
- Confident presenting to wide range of audiences up to and including CxO level and senior external customer and client stakeholders
- Ability to excel in a rapidly growing, fast-paced organisational environment
- A can-do attitude, able to work with limited supervision under pressure and to tight deadlines., either alone or as part of a team
- Successfully influence and manage relations with clients, colleagues and other stakeholders
- Willing to occasionally work off-site at supplier or customer sites.
Technical skills and experience:
- Understanding of the principles of complex systems/software development projects
- Ability to take a continuous and agile approach to planning, forecasting, estimating, managing uncertainty and associated risk and contingency planning
- Able to communicate the plan, assumptions and progress to a range of stakeholders and manage the relationships between different stakeholders within and across teams
- Able to solve issues and unblock problems – drives teams and sets the pace, ensuring teams are working towards delivery commitments
- Experience of delivering customer facing field trials or similar projects would be advantageous
- Experience across full project lifecycle from concept through scoping, estimation, business case, definition, delivery, customer acceptance and closure
- Risk and Health & Safety management experience would be advantageous
- Educated to at least degree level in a relevant business, technical or engineering discipline
- Formal and current Project Management or similar qualification or professional accreditation
- Demonstrable experience of hands-on Programme and Project Management and delivery
- Understanding and experience of customer facing operations
Would you like to Apply?
The closing date for applications is Sunday 27th June 2021
Please note that at this time we are unable to provide UK visa sponsorship.
Energy Systems Catapult undertakes innovative and exciting work that will help shape the future of energy, with this in mind we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible, as we do reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
(Strictly No Agencies).
“We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.”
Purpose of the Privacy Statement
The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to make you aware of how and why your personal data will be used during any recruitment process and how long it will usually be retained for. This statement provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
In the recruitment process we, Energy Systems Catapult Limited, are a “Data Controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you.
The Energy Systems Catapult Limited is located at Cannon House 7th Floor, 18 Priory Queensway, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, B4 6BS and can be contacted by email at: email@example.com.
Data Protection Principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way;
Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes;
Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes;
Accurate and kept up to date;
Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about;
The Kind of Personal Data we hold about you
In connection with your application for work with us, we will collect, store and use the following categories of personal information about you:
The information you have provided in our application form;
The information you have provided to us in your curriculum vitae and covering letter;
Any information you provide to us during an interview;
Any other information provided by you as part of the recruitment process.
We may ask you for information to allow us to monitor our equal opportunities and diversity performance in recruitment. Also, if you inform us that you have a disability we will keep this information on record to allow us to make reasonable adjustments as needed.
How we will use your Personal Data
We will use the personal data we collect about you to:
Assess your skills, qualifications and suitability for the role;
Carry out background and reference checks, where applicable;
Communicate with you about the recruitment process;
Keep records relating to our hiring processes;
Manage recruitment related activities, which includes setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes;
Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
We will also use information about any disability you may have to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process.
Such processing is lawful as it is necessary for our legitimate purpose in seeking to attract, evaluate, and select applicants for employment.
Data Sharing: Greenhouse Software Inc
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by us to help manage our recruitment and hiring process. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. This transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the Privacy Shield so as to comply with EU law.
We will retain your personal data for a period of 12 months after we have communicated to you our decision about whether to appoint you to the role. We retain your personal data for that period so that we can show, in the event of a legal claim, that we have not discriminated against candidates on prohibited grounds and that we have conducted the recruitment exercise in a fair and transparent way. After this period, we will securely destroy your personal data in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
Your Rights in Connection with Personal Data
Under the GDPR you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted or transferred.
When you apply for this role, and tick the confirmation box below, you have provided consent for us to process your personal data for the purpose of the recruitment exercise. You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing for that purpose at any time. Withdrawal of consent to process your data may mean that we cannot continue with your application to us.
If you wish to exercise the rights granted to you under GDPR please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org