To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
A position is available in the Divertor team for a Prototype Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for the delivery, testing and qualification of prototypes for the divertor and first-wall components and systems. This includes participation in the specification, design and evaluation of the in-vessel tokamak components for present and future fusion devices at Tokamak Energy. The candidate will have a methodical but practical mindset, capable of evaluating and selecting emerging technologies through advanced analysis techniques, able to understand and validate to experimental data; organised, self-driven and able to work to defined timescales.
- Lead the delivery of divertor and other baseline tokamak plasma-facing components prototypes including specification, design, testing and qualification activities.
- Validate experimentally the behaviour of the thermo-mechanical response of the prototypes.
- Participate in tokamak operations as responsible of divertor integrity monitoring.
- Define and analyse relevant prototype testing activities in coordination with tokamak physics and engineering designers, as required for the next generation of fusion devices.
- Collaborate in the assessment and qualification of the performance of plasma-facing components to be installed inside the tokamak vacuum enclosure by supporting the integrated analysis activities.
- Participate in the design of novel liquid metal tokamak components supporting the definition and realization of R&D prototypes, both meant for laboratory testing and tokamak qualification.
- Manage validation and assessment interfaces, liaising with physicists and engineers responsible for other tokamak systems’ R&D, power supplies, HTS magnet design and overall integration.
- Monitor external development on novel techniques for improving and speeding up the prototyping and qualification activities.
- Liaising with external contractors and researchers for the supply of technology development solutions.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities
- Driving on Company business
- Regular manual handling
- Work with any substance which has any of the following pictograms on their MSDS:
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business
- Degree in a relevant engineering discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Experience specifying and delivering complex prototypes.
- Hands-on experience on testing and diagnostic equipment.
- Experience working within a team of scientists and/or engineers.
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Organised approach to complex problems
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience designing and testing high-heat flux solutions for vacuum environments.
- Management experience of manufacturing, welding, brazing, assembly, etc, as well as the evaluation of resultant products including their material properties.
- Experience with assessment and qualification rules and procedures.
- Experience using CAD and simulation codes both commercial (Solid Works, ANSYS) or open source (FreeCAD, OpenFOAM, Salome-Meca).
- Appreciation of reverse engineering as well as dimensional and inverse analysis.
- Code development experience for data analysis would be a plus.
- CFD and electro-magnetic analysis experience would be a plus.
- Experience working in aerospace, nuclear, and/or fusion fields would be a plus.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.