The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Best Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
OVO’s Renewable Energy Trading Manager will lead a small team responsible for the effective procurement of renewable energy for OVO’s customer base through both direct electricity offtake from renewable facilities and the procurement of green certificates. You’ll be working within the Trading department, reporting to the Trading Director. You will need to be confident being the business’ expert in your area, sharing that knowledge with others and using their domain expertise to best support your mission. You will need to have the vision, motivation and drive to take opportunities from concept through to delivery.
A key activity will be to lead the development and growth of OVO’s presence in the UK PPA market. In addition, the team will be responsible for management of the Green Certificate (ROC, REGO, RGGO, VCU) positions and exposures as well as supporting the effective operation of OVO’s Feed In Tariff operations.
This critical and exciting new role will be tasked with delivering renewable energy to the business while effectively managing the P&L and risks associated with these activities. You will need expertise in renewable energy, green certificate procurement, PPA valuation and energy risk management, coupled with the commercial acumen to identify and realise opportunities that utilise the team’s capabilities to create value for the business. You will work closely with Traders, Analysts and Software Engineers within the Trading team plus a diverse range of other stakeholders across the business, including Retail Commercial, Sustainability and Finance.
What will I be doing?
Key responsibilities include:
- Identification and delivery of approaches that enable OVO to access renewable energy within agreed cost and risk constraints
- Establish and develop commercial arrangements with partner firms and renewable generating facilities that support OVO’s renewable energy goals
- Own, develop and operate all business processes relating to Renewable Energy to that optimise value with effective reporting and robust process controls
- Develop and communicate internally OVO’s Renewable Certificate Hedging strategies
- Implementing these strategies through effective calculation and monitoring of Green Certificate (ROC, REGO, RGGO, VCU) requirements and negotiation of standard and structured deals
- Ensure OVO meets all regulatory compliance requirements relating to renewable energy supply and green certificate trading
- Monitoring renewables market developments
- Provide OVO with a presence at industry meetings and engage in industry consultations
Is this the job for me?
Ideally you will have:
- Experience in Renewable PPA Market or Energy Trading and Risk Management
- Experience in Green Certificates trading and compliance
- Detailed knowledge of balancing and settlement in Energy markets
- Experience in the development of effective risk management policies and hedging strategies
- Experience and skill in condensing and communicating information to senior stakeholders
- Ability to extract key information from complex industry rules and assess the commercial impact and opportunities
- Demonstrable high attention to detail
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to make pragmatic commercial decisions
- Drive, autonomy and time management – you’ll need to work out how to deliver maximum value against tight and changing schedules
From us you’ll get*
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- Flexible working hours
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.
Please mention For Purpose Jobs in your application