At Phytoform Labs Ltd we believe in sustainable agriculture and nutrition for all. We see a lack of innovation in the agricultural space around the crops themselves, so we are building a multidisciplinary team to help rectify the situation. We have exciting growth plans over the next year and we are looking for a dedicated research technician to support our wet lab team. We are based at the world leading plant science institute Rothamsted Research just outside of London, United Kingdom.
If you are looking for a fast-paced environment, new challenges and like working with a multidisciplinary team, then this job is for you. You will be responsible for maintenance of non-sterile and sterile plant material, DNA preparations (mini & midipreps) and media & consumable preparation for the wet lab. If you have previously been part of an academic or industry team, but now would like to work in a start-up environment then you would be a great fit.
- Track and maintain sterile growth and tissue culture of Arabidopsis, Potato & Tomato plants
- Track and maintain soil grown plants (collaborating with Rothamsted Research Greenhouse team)
- Prepare DNA for downstream applications (transformations, DNA minipreps & midipreps)
- Prepare custom media for plant tissue culture and general molecular biology
- Maintain wet lab consumable stocks
What you will bring:
- BSc Plant Sciences, Biology or a related subject.
- Experience in sterile working practices, preparing and maintaining media stocks.
- Experience of working with plants in both a laboratory environment and glasshouse.
- Practical experience of laboratory technician/biological scientific research work.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrable numeracy skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail, precision and accuracy, documentation skills and accurate record keeping.
- Great organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritise, organise and coordinate a range of projects simultaneously.
- The ability to follow written protocols and instructions.
- A flexible and proactive approach to work, working under your own initiative, working out of hours if required.
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office Word and Excel. Experience of successfully using laboratory management software and project management software would be an advantage.
- A team player with an enthusiasm for working in a busy and evolving environment.
You get extra points if you:
- Have experience of molecular techniques including cloning and plasmid preparation
- Can demonstrate a strong record of laboratory experience and using a Laboratory Management System. If you bring experience of self-directed, multidisciplinary laboratory work that would be great.
- Have a plant tissue culture skillset.
- Have previous industry or start-up experience
- Love plants as much as we do
What we offer:
- A competitive salary and share options
- The chance to work with a multidisciplinary team changing agriculture
- A flexible working arrangement: early or late working with core hours of 10am-4pm
- Access to a gym & tennis courts
- Access to the cycle to work scheme