We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment.
We’re spearheading the transition to greener, cheaper energy through the installation of in-home technologies; from smart meters and electric car chargers; to low carbon heating, home batteries, solar, and beyond. Utilising Octopus’ awesome tech power, we deliver smart energy solutions for our customers.
As the face of the company, our diverse, industry-leading field force delivers the same outrageous experience Octopus customers love and expect.
Find out more about where we come from and what makes us tick from our CEO, John HERE
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue our mission.
You’ll be building the field services app used by field engineers to carry out works in customer’s properties.
You’ll be working in a small green-field team with plenty of autonomy to make design and technical decisions. We use the latest technology and a lean-agile approach to get our code shipped. You will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on the work carried out by the field engineering team.
What you’ll have…
- Have experience in the creation of an app through all aspects: define, develop, integrate, ship, test, manage, improve.
- Comfortable working with a modularized project.
- Proficient with Kotlin.
- Experience using the latest technologies and libraries, such as Architecture Components, Dagger/Hilt, Compose, Retrofit/GraphQL, Room, Coroutines, Mockito and Espresso.
- Experience with managing CI/CD and deployment pipelines, including Play Store publishing.
- Can discuss vision and features within a team and propose creative solutions.
- Passionate about developing, clean and easily maintainable app architecture and can talk about the benefits and drawbacks of various patterns (MVC, MVVM, MVI/Redux).
- Knowledge of reactive libraries, offline storage, API integration, and testing.
- Understanding of Android’s design principles and interface guidelines.
- Understands general software engineering best practices, such as the SOLID principles.
- An eye for detail, with a keen sense in creating beautiful, world-class applications that users love.
- Is an out the box thinker prepared to rethink the status quo.
What you’ll love about us
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Note: This description gives a feel for the role, however if you’re missing something here but think you’d fit, we’d love to hear from you.
This is the chance to join one of the UK’s most exciting start-ups. If you this sounds exciting to you and you have a genuine passion for what we’re doing then we’d love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.